The 300 Series - Just Listening Experiences

Huh?

I don’t think Stu upgraded his non DR 500 yet but could be wrong of course

No idea, but that’s how the question was worded as you see above, more than that I don’t know :person_shrugging:

I’m not sure that anyone is suggesting swapping out a 500 for the 350’s. More as to whether the 350 is close enough to the 500 to make it a good step up from the 300, instead of the step to 500.

2 Likes

It seems that some had their concerns whether the new 350 would be as good as the 500 judging by some posts… For my own part, I have never considered it likely.

I think @Stu299 has a history of considering an upgrade to a 500DR

and

and the implicit suggestion they had bought one was causing the amusement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe back in the old days, but with all the this is what we do because we are Naim not going away but being changed, e.g. transformers can be used in 282/252 level gear, standard xlr cables can be used, even phono cables can be used to connect pre and power amps you would expect some dealers and future users to actually use these new ways of using the gear. or to pair up a naim pre with a power amp from from another manufacturer. The days of you got to use only Naim gear in a naim setup otherwise you break the magic is long gone. For many of us or some of us we have never used Naim speakers, and surely not Focal speakers.
Claus

3 Likes

Blythe, why not stay active but try 3x250.3? Or 3x350?

1 Like

Claus,
All of what you write makes perfect sense and I am not a Naim purist. I also use non Naim sources and I appreciate other non Naim speakers. Also non Naim interconnects and speaker cables.
I was simply agreeing with Igel about demoing the new classics with the interconnects and cables they were designed to work with and not exotic/expensive chord music which I’m sure is very good

1 Like

Let’s face it, if you are demoing at your dealer the room that will make a much bigger difference than any cables will

Also true and I would say that’s why it’s important to have a home demo

1 Like

If I’m understanding you I don’t agree with this, I think the Naim ethos is alive and well with the NC if not even more so. In 25 years of owning and using Naim I’ve never used non-Naim source or analogue components with my Naim kit with the exception of speakers. And nothing about the new offerings is compelling me to change that.

1 Like

Has it ever been that? I think I’ve been doing it all wrong for nigh on 40 years. From my pl12d in to my Nait 2, through Nak tape and cd, and now my Auralic/Rega/ Gold Note in to the 552/300. Must get a Naim source sometime and find out what its all about. :grinning:

1 Like

Just look at the connections and think back to the days where you had din only. This of course started with the addition of fono plugs on the 252, but with the NC you can mix and match withoug having ever to think about special cables.

True. With the NC kit you only need special cables if you have Naim kit! Power supplies anyhow.

1 Like

…back to the listening experiences.

Heard ‘bare’ 333/332 and 250 today. Definite change of sound signature - less forward and more refined than my classic kit certainly. No less musical and engaging though.

I like :+1:t2:

10 Likes

Thank you for bringing the thread back on track!

6 Likes

I attended today 07/10 a demo by Paul and Mark of Naim at Hotel Meliá in Milan, organized by AF Merate.

It consisted in adding 300 power supplies to the 300 four box system, back and forth, once and again.

It was easy and satisfying to hear the improvements and the loss thereof. I had been worrying that I would be unable to hear the difference, but I passed the test with excellent marks.

I think the system was one of the best sounding systems in the exhibition, and if you consider the price, the very best by far.

16 Likes

We listened to this and more…

3 Likes

I don’t think the addition of non-din plugs supports your claim. Sorry.