The 300 Series - Just Listening Experiences

With respect to deep bass, for a laugh, I asked for ‘Flight of the Cosmic Hippo’ by Bela Fleck at The Audiobarn demo after the two 300 power supplies had been added. The bass on this track goes very deep. I swear this system added an additional couple of octaves southwards beyond that I have heard before. These lowest notes were a little soft but it is asking an awful lot to resolve such low frequencies. Who knows I could be at the limits of my hearing. Pretty impressive though.

4 Likes

That was one of the first tracks I put on when I got the 222/250 warmed up and later with the 555DR. You can feel the ripples of the lower waves it’s so good. Not muddled at all, clear and distinct from other notes. I’ve seen BF live multiple times, love his music.

1 Like

What speakers in Audiobarn?

Focal Sopra 2.

3 Likes

Thank you @NigelIB for starting this forum and the very helpful review. It’s exciting to see the 300 series starting to become available. I received good news today from my dealer that my 332/333 order is on its way, I’ll be happy to add my own impressions after burning them in for a while. They’ll be replacing the 222, paired with one 300, and NC250. I think @nicnaim has a set in order as well, looking forward to his impressions soon.

4 Likes

Apparently the lowest note on that track is D1, which is about 36.7 Hz. Pretty low - but you can get an octave lower! (Not that many speakers or speaker/room combinations are capable at reproducing undiminished.)

2 Likes

Anyone who has added a subwoofer to a classic system will know that the deep bass is available from the amplifier! As said, it is the speaker / room that limits.

3 Likes

Really enjoying this. Hadn’t heard it before. Thank you

5 Likes

Likewise

Well @Marty_SF , I will be very interested in your findings as I am also considering the 333/332/250 but without the 300.

As you are moving on from the 222 it will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the performance of the 333 though of course you cannot compare properly because the £5700 222 is being replaced by 333/332 at £15800 so it should be better.

I assume the 300 is for the 333? Had you considered the 350 rather than adding the 300? Answering my own question, probably not as you already have the 250 bought :pleading_face:

Anybody done a comparison between the 332+333 vs 222+300 yet?

Thanks Marty, I look forward to your impressions. Presumably you will be trading in your 222 against the purchase of the 333/332?

A pre-loved 222 - maybe one of the first… :astonished:

:shushing_face:

1 Like

Nope, there has been a trio of traded in 200 products available used for some weeks now.

Can’t remember date they first appeared but it was quite a while ago (in relative terms to the 200 lifespan to date…). They were readvertised on dealer Facebook at start of month. The focus changed from a set to available individually which gave some concern that the used units weren’t shifting.

1 Like

There is a pre-loved 222 on the Swedish market down 25% from the retail price.

There will always be some who ‘have to’ buy something new - then regret it or decide they don’t like it. But - it all helps others to buy good things for less.

(this applies near universally, IMO - not just to Hi Fi… :crazy_face: )

1 Like

And so it begins……

After 3 days of extensive listening at home the demo NAC 332 was boxed up and returned this morning. Thanks very much to James at Audio T / Bristol, for first class customer service and for giving me the opportunity to try this preamplifier in my current system - it was fun to say the least…

More about this, when my schedule allows.

12 Likes

Order made?