The 300 Series - Just Listening Experiences

Follow up Thoughts

A week after my time with the New Classic NAC 332 at home, how is my current system sounding with the SN2 / HiCapDR back in place with the 250DR?

Very good indeed, in fact, it was sounding great before the demo preamplifier was here, and going through some of the tracks I played last weekend everything is fine with plenty of musicality and enjoyment. Nothing is broken, singers are on song and Steve Gadd is still sounding awesome on Aja.

However, the NAC 332 Preamplifier is still on order, because I now know that there is more to be heard in these recordings and a deeper connection is to be found in the performances that will enhance every listening experience.

20 Likes

Can I ask Geoff, what stopped you upgrading your pre-amp previously (before NC series) to a 282 or 252 etc?

1 Like

Hi @BBWan

If you read my main review post above (#79), that explains context of my planned upgrades with the NAC 282 and NAC 252 and why I didnā€™t take that route.

Additionally, I went for a 250DR first as a new one became available at a great price, and then later I added the HiCapDr. The SN2 works very well as a stand alone preamp, and in particular using it with a 250DR power amplifier I found it much better.

In my view, the new NAC 332 is significantly better than the SN2 (as it should be) and also improves on the NAC 252, hence I am glad that I waited for the appearance of the 300 series.

11 Likes

Also of interest to me because it relates to a single stack Fraim setup with TT.

Apologies, I obviously glossed over that bit of the thread.
Interesting to hear that though so thank you for replying.
Iā€™m in a similar situation currently (SN2/non-Naim PS/250DR), but Iā€™ve also previously owned both 282 and 252 so I was interested in your thoughts. The NAC332 is probably out of reach in the near future, but hoping some desirable PL gear starts hitting the market soon.

1 Like

Hi @BBWan

Reading that you have a non naim power supply and 250DR I do wonder if you would get the same results as me, because the synergy of the system would be different?

Classic NAC 282 and NAC 252 are very good preamplifiers and can be found in many excellent naim systems, and that wonā€™t change.

In my case, I decided to buy new if the 300 series gave me the sound quality improvement I was looking for, hopefully with at least 15 years before they need servicing, and the added bonus of more economic power consumption.

4 Likes

Great write up and Mark Raggett is a legend of Naim

2 Likes

Hopefully of some help, and I should choose my words carefully here in order not to mislead you, but if I remember correctly you had some hesitations whether to go for the NC250 or not, and vs the 250DR (and including that the 300DR has been slightly overwhelming for you, if thatā€™s the right word?)? Based on what I understand your preference may be, dare I say you may like the NC250? Based on my experience with it so far, and only from memory vs how I remember the 250DR, the NC sounds less soft to me (or more controlled), quite airy and more transparent (faster too). This is also vs the 300DR but if one wants a ā€œbiggerā€ (but slightly slower) sounding amp, I believe the 300 should be the more obvious choice.
The NC250 is also very alive and retaining the groove and spark at low volumes. If the NC350 takes all of this further and depending on your speakers and room you may want to try them as well? (for me and my speakers the NC250 seems plenty and quite right)

2 Likes

Thanks for the write-up @NigelB . Nebulous question but how much do you think the Sopras contributed to your positive reviews of the 300 gear? I understand you couldnā€™t swap out different speakers but thought Iā€™d ask anyway.

332/333 arrived today and 3 hours of play time so far and it already sounds really good. I gave up on furniture setup and ordered a Fraim stack so when that comes in, Iā€™ll have a tidier picture.
I noticed a minor but strange thing : when adjusting the balance towards right or left, sound goes the opposite direction, it feels counter-intuitive but I care more that Iā€™m not misconnecting anything or missing a detail. I checked my XLR connections, correct and matching on 250 and 332, black(right) -red(left), logos pointing up.
@GeoffC, did you notice the same? Anyone else noticing this on 332?

As a comparison within New Classic family, that wasnā€™t the case with 222 on its app based balance adjustment, sound followed the direction, move the slider to right, balance is tilted to the right, vice versa with left.

16 Likes

I was wondering why my (comparably) tiny Nait50 came in such a big box, but it seems (from your photo) that this now is the new standard Naim packaging.

Itā€™s interesting (to me, at least) to see how the packaging changes over the years.

Thanks. You remember well Garcon. It may, as you said, work well for me. In any cases I will not buy blind this time. Will have to test at home.
But always good to have feedbacks from some who could compare.

2 Likes

Per chance, did you have a previous 250 and have mentally reverted to crossing the speak cables on the rear, as this used to be how the outputs were laid out ā€“ itā€™s changed now with the NC gear.

2 Likes

Play Stairway to heaven and ensure the intro guitar is in the left speaker :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @Marty_SF

I had a legacy cable with the two XLRs going from the back of the NAC 332 into only one XLR socket on the rear of my 250DR amplifier.

I think I had red as right and black as left in the preamplifier bearing in mind that the sockets are set out positionally opposite to this on the back - see screen shot from the manual below.

Whichever way I had it set up, it was fine when using the remote for balance - I have no streamer or app to use here, so once connected, I didnā€™t change it.

NAC332rearpanel

1 Like

I think red is right.

3 Likes

As long as you are facing the rear of the 222, NC 250, 333 or 332. Then for all XLR connections, right is the left connector and left is the right connector. The red ended connector of the lead, should go to the right XLR input or output socket. :blush:

Great threadā€¦some good mini reviewsā€¦keepā€™em comingā€¦

1 Like

Love to hear your views on how the 333/332 compares to the 222 you have replaced.

I assume you have kept the 300? If so, which are you plugging it in to, the 332 or the 333, and what did your dealer advise?

3 Likes

Going for a dem on Wednesday.