The 500DR Has Landed - At Last!

Indeed, and it only involved the use of one wall hook and one elastic band. Everything else behaved, with some manipulation, sweat and a few choice words.

I apologise in advance for those with OCD, or of a nervous disposition, but here are some photos.

Yes, my Fraim stacks have been separatedā€¦ā€¦yes, the order of standard and medium height levels are different for brawn and brains stacksā€¦and yes, all my wires are visible. All done to put air around the boxes that most need it, to get the 500 head unit off the base and to aid cable dressing to keep all the leads off the floor, walls and Fraim and not touching each other. I also had to contend with a sloping floor, and you can see how much I had to adjust the brains stack just to keep it reasonably level. This unfortunately puts the levels in the brawn and brains stacks out of horizontal alignment. Much anality now prevents faffing later.

I consulted this place and my dealer about box ordering (and spacing) before deciding on this arrangement. Certainly going to leave as is and see how everything settles in.

36 Likes

Looks great to me. Nice handy space for that 2nd 555PS when the time is right too :+1:

2 Likes

Congrats on the new arrival @NigelB . Not what I really want to be reading as I await my 300DR mind! Luckily I canā€™t accommodate a 500 so the 300 will be the end point for me.

Enjoy!

G

2 Likes

Looks great, you must be very pleased.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an interesting looking room Nigel - how old is the property?

1 Like

Congratulationsā€¦ā€¦it will be interesting to hear your thoughts as everything starts to settle inā€¦. in the meantime Enjoy!!

1 Like

The room you are looking at in these photos is part of the original building, which dates from the 1520s. This has been much extended and was in fact 3 adjoining cottages, the next eldest being built 1680, and all knocked through to form the pub many years ago.

6 Likes

Congratulations! your amp will develop over the weeksā€¦to an amazing levelā€¦you are in for a real treatā€¦

1 Like

Ah I seeā€¦.

Fair play Nigel. A 500 series Naim setup and your own Pub next door. Perfect :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks.

The room you see is part of the owners flat immediately above the pub and restaurant.

4 Likes

Very nice Nigel. Iā€™m sure the Cosmic Hippo loves it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Nigel, was just wondering if anythingā€™s been done with the mains since back then? ATB Peter

4 Likes

Congrats Nigel. Youā€™re going to love the 500 Iā€™m sure and all the the hard work on the Fraims will bring worthwhile benefits too.
Now, whereā€™s the Solstice going to live? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I will admit to playing The Cosmic Hippo as one of the first tracks I played when it was all set up.

It wasā€¦Cosmic baby!

3 Likes

Well they have, a few years go, buried the previous overhead cables and we have a new local transformer. I would get a dedicated Consumer Unit and 10mm2 feed to the hifi, but I hope to move at some point.

1 Like

Good starting points we like to recommend when listening room dimensions can be chosen or adjusted are 17-foot width, 10-foot height and 23-foot length. Why did we pick those ratios? Because they minimize low-frequency pressure issues that need to be treated, and they also minimize reverberation time issues, which are reflection-based. Is this the correct room size for all situations? Absolutely not. It would not be a good home theater room, but it would be a good studio control room. Whatā€™s the difference between home theaters and studio control rooms? Thereā€™s more energy in home theater rooms, from more speakers, so the space requirements increase.

No pressure Nigel :wink: Best Peter

2 Likes

That is a big olā€™ room with quite a tall ceiling for UK houses.

I assume it is the ratio of width to height that is the key to minimising standing waves, rather than the absolute dimensions, although the wave length of low frequencies, and how they ā€˜sitā€™ in the listening room must be a factor.

Quite the requirement to be giving to an estate agent :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Nigel, sorry about my side-tracking but hey, unless we all buy barns with vaulted ceilings, we are stuck with the usual (read bloody) 8 footers. Ah well, life is full of compromise :weary: Best Peter
PS. This of course takes nothing away from just how good the 500 DR is :yum: