The ageing hifi fanatic / music listener

Throughout life I have aimed to live with no regrets, making decisions based on as much of fact as I could, thereafter that at the time it was right even if subsequently turns out to have been the wrong thing to do. But not buying MB2SEs when I was offered a pair ex-dem at a remarkably low price is something I do regret, even though at the time I had reasoned it was right not to. Yes, it would have been a hassle, having to immediately sell the other speakers I had just bought and not yet received, and yes I would be more limited in terms of manoeuvrability, but I would say there is at least a 50% chance I will end up buying a pair next year when I retire, and overall when change is completed the net cost is likely to be a good few £thousand more than had I jumped at that offer.

Meanwhile further to a post of mine contemplating the possibility that I might further delay retirement because of COVID, today I made the firm decision not to, and will stick with the date I had already pencilled in.

2 Likes

Ah Lukey. :slightly_smiling_face: I wonder if he bought his dream system before he retired :thinking:

Luke was probably talking about living in the present moment, rather than collecting material things for pleasure :sunglasses:

My own retirement, while originally thought to be a few years on from when it actually was, was brought about by disability so their was little or no planning. However, I had reached a point where I had decided to go with top quality in most purchases. I had by then switched to primarily naim and had expected to upgrade over time. My disability sped up my upgrades as I was spending more time listening to music. My room is shared so that it is not a dedicated room but works adequately. Over the years, I have accumulated a lot of stuff and the idea of moving or starting fresh is both appealing and daunting. However any place I would consider would also have to accommodate my rather bulky rack and system. I still obtain great pleasure from it and would not consider a smaller set-up.

1 Like

“Fell off the perch” is my new favourite euphemism for shuffling off this mortal coil (replacing the coarser “pegged it” and “kicked the bucket”). :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve moved house after retirement to be closer to the grandchildren. The only thing I downsized on was the garden. I’ve also installed fake grass to reduce future labours.
Regarding the hi fi, I got back into it with a chance listen to a Nova about three years ago. Since then I’ve gone from the Nova to SN3/NDX2 to 282/300DR.
I realised that time was running out and if I didn’t buy it now I never would. I
also reckon if my hearing starts to deteriorate I’ll need a better system in order to hear the music.
I thought about a Porsche but decided against it when I tried to get in and out with some semblance of style.
The only downside to a Naim system is that I spend a hell of a lot of time listening to it when I should be in the gym.

7 Likes

Hifi is also more conducive to your and others’ longevity! Slowing reaction times and reducing sharpness/quickness of vision aren’t ideal partners to fast cars… You could even do the all important physical exercise while listening to your hifi, rather less so than behing the wheel!

1 Like

Take off and nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

Whenever I think about these things age related I remember a line from a poet (Tagore?) that talks of the line of burnt down candles behind me being a lot longer than the line of unlighted candles remaining in front of me.
If you want and can afford something then the time really is now.

2 Likes

I think Luke was probably a little more Dansette than Statement

Something I have always maintained as we age, while our hearing changes, it’s the same ears we all take to live concerts {Pre Covid but a vaccine will usher in Post Covid soon I hope} and it is the reproduction of that same sound which I pursue. So if my hearing drops off at 5 KHz, it does the same for live sound. So its a common mode effect and I don’t plan to let that stop me from enjoying music reproduction.

I do think that simplification will set in. I am moving my equipment ever few months to accommodate a new item. At 76 years old, I have resorted to sliding equipment rather than lifting it. I find the plastic bottom or felt bottom furniture moving sliders a great help, particularly with my power amp.

3 Likes

You could go the other way and reason that as more subtlety and detail gets missed due to hearing loss whats the point of trying to find more detail and subtlety and downscale to match the hearing loss :wink:

I’m hoping that the 300DR turned up will allow me to hear no matter what condition my ears are in. If I can’t hear it I’ll feel it through the sofa.

6 Likes

Beethoven will be the composer of choice then, as he wrote the music by a similar method.

2 Likes

…or the neighbours banging on the wall…just hope they can keep time to the music…

There’s nothing quite like living in the moment than unboxing something for the first time. Preferably a big heavy box. I know, Santa taught me that at a very young age.

2 Likes

Fortunately we are detached.

It’s terrible when newlyweds move in next door isn’t it?

3 Likes

Check your gable mortar. They could be rocking out.

1 Like

Ease up on the smutty innuendo fellas. Lots of we impotent oldies on this thread!!!