The Atom is Amazing

Can I buy the one with the right angle and reterminated it? It looks like resoldering may be required?

Yes, just cut off the old ones and solder on the Atom plugs. They are a bit of a faff to solder, so you could always find someone to do it for you if necessary.

I have expirience with Kef R3 on Atom, good matches.

Bravo newcomer for text, I enjoyed reading it!

2 Likes

They are a real pain in the neck to solder and get in the casing. I swore a lot putting mine together.

I might just get these that have banana plugs on both ends. It’s not as elegant as the one piece Naim plug, but I don’t want to solder cables. The Atom is suppose to be a lifestyle product. :grinning:

2 Likes

I don’t see the problem – just ask your dealer to solder the speaker plugs. Won’t compromise your life style and keeps the economy going… :wink:

1 Like

Banana plugs tend to have a tendency to work the way out on their own with NACA5 . Its incredibly stiff and does not bend easily. I constantly have to keep checking the ends in my speakers. Before I put on the Atom plugs did the same on the Atom to now it does not move.

I’m using Chord Ohmic plugs and Sarsen cables with my UQ2. They fit like limpets. You could probably twirl the UQ around in the air holding the wires and they wouldn’t come out.

Thanks for the explanation, I too have apparently been incorrectly associating easy to drive with sensitivity.

are the informations in this article correct ?
same question for @Xanthe

https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/blog/2017/08/14/beginners-guide-matching-speakers-amplifiers/

No it’s grossly oversimplified.

Or rather, yes, but it’s grossly oversimplified. The math heavy details that scare people off are best avoided, not by dumbing it down, but by using a good dealer.

1 Like

I’d like to add that I myself know my limitations. I am not, and never will be, an electrical engineer. I just know enough to know to put my hand up and get a dealer I really trust to help with this.

some dealers in the US advised running Wilson Sabrina with Naim Nova. There was a thread on it in the past forum.
I feel it’s not a good idea. Like Athom with Sopra 1.

Wilson Sabina specs :
@ 1m @ 1 kHz

Nominal Impedance

4 ohms / 2.53 ohms minimum @ 139 Hz

Minimum Amplifier Power

50 watts per channel

Frequency Response

31 Hz – 21 kHz: +/- 3 dB: Room Average Response [RAR

Overall Dimensions

Height

38 inches (96.48 cm)

Width

12 inches (30.48 cm)

Depth

15 3/16 inches (38.55 cm)

System Weight Per Channel

94 lbs (42.64 kg)

System Shipping Weight

222 lbs (100.70 kg)

Well I’d no trust those dealers as far as I could chuck 'em. Driving capabilities aside, it’s too much mullet.

My amp costs almost 4 times what my speakers are in the main system and 10 times more in the office. I feel neither is a bad match quality-wise.

1 Like

We should all keep an open mind and remind ourselves that sometimes that rule book should be thrown out of the window.

2 Likes

A lot of words, but very short on real information - as FZ said grossly oversimplified.

It’s all relative. I’ve had Totem Hawks with a UC2, added a NAP100, then a used Uniti 2 and now a Nova. They have been enjoyable with each system, and have always responded to a better source and more power too, without detracting from how well they performed with the UC2 on its own. Heck, I could bang the SN2 on them if I wanted.

1 Like

Based purely on specs, is LS50 a good match for the Atom? The synergy is quite special, granted I’m a speaker newbie.

Now don’t do that HH! People in your UQ2’s earlier life might take fright!

Best

David

Based not on specs but the fact they are generally known as being both amp friendly and to work great with the lowest power Naim amps, I’d expect great things from them with an Atom.