The best order of things

Take a look at the post I linked to above, it’s spiked into threaded rods sunk I think into concrete below the cabin floor. I’m sure Quicksticks can explain better, and sorry for speaking for you QS!

No, you’re good.
I have no response I want to make. Your link is exactly the answer I would have given.

1 Like

Yes I can see what you’ve done from the pictures. I could make a few what I think would be usefully constructive observations based on my own experiences but due to your rude and dismissive response I’ll keep these to myself. Some people!

Neither rude or dismissive.
The response @gthack gave said it all, I had nothing to add.
I cannot put my TT on a wall shelf as the cabin is a timber building and wall shelves don’t work sadly. We have tried in the past.

2 Likes

OK. First of all In would ask you - is the plywood platform supported by the rods slightly proud of the (presumably suspended) wooden floor or did you place it on top of the floor and tighten the bolts on the rods to clamp it to the floor?

Here’s another post all about it.

I’m just using the forum search tool to find these. Albeit recalling that QS has posted a few times before about it. If you search for things like “@quicksticks platform” you’ll find posts by the member in question, about the string after their name

Just trying to help here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is my post from February when we put the platform in.

It looks like the platform is touching the floor because of the carpet edge, but it is truly clear of the structure. Even the holes the steel dowels go through are 4cm in diameter for good clearance.

3 Likes

Anyway @anon55098131 - from what I recall you have a long history of Naim ownership? And I hope I do recall correctly. Ignoring the nature of the rack, plus the fact QS has already said the two racks might swap places. As per the thread title, any comments regarding the stacking order?

OK thanks for that. That’s good to know. My primary concern was that the platform was touching the floor but I see you’ve got it well thought out.

The only issue I can see is that you’ve in effect created a sort of ‘sub-stand’ beneath your Fraim and other stand. This will have unpredictable effects and will necessarily have it’s own set of resonances. The steel rods look to be of rather small diameter and my worry would be, especially with the huge weight of equipment it is supporting, lack of rigidity in the overall structure. One way around this would be to add metal tubes (pipes in effect) of higher diameter around the rods so that the platform clamps, via the rods, onto these. This would add substantially to the structural rigidity and weight bearing capacity and would be pretty simple to implement - although you might need to enlarge the floor holes a bit. if you really wanted to go to town you could even fill the void in the pipes around the rods with an inert filler like sand or speaker stand filler in order to deaden resonances. Also maybe look at using something like Peek plastic washers instead of metal ones. This would also help to tame resonances.

Just a few suggestions / refinements to maybe think about. But look, if it all works and you’re happy then just leave well alone.

PS. Ideally - and it’s perhaps a somewhat drastic solution - dispense with the platform/sub-stand completely. Cut a hole in the floor to accommodate the racks and buy an additional tall Frame level that rests on the concrete base and supports the equipment above floor level.

Yes I owned Naim stuff for around 30 years or so. I can’t see anything glaringly wrong anywhere in the stacking. My stuff was all on a single Fraim stack (no TT) and I just arranged it the most obvious way to me, ie. CD player on top, pre-amp next and then P/S’s with a 250 on the bottom. No room for a separate stack anyway!

1 Like

My only other thought is about LP12 support. Many of us stick them on wall shelves for a good reason, but I understand that that is not the right answer in every case.

Linn themselves don’t put them on wall shelves but I think they still insist that the best support is something ‘light and rigid’. Thus, if you do want to try a few options for positioning, one option would be to get more boxes on the left column so that the weight comes down on the right stack.

I know that Fraims have many fans, but a Fraim with all those boxes in a single stack wouldn’t be the first thing I’d try. Part of the reason is that I suspect getting more transformers away from delicate stuff is good. However, the main reason is that a single Fraim stack with an LP12 on top might be ‘rigid’, but it is not obviously ‘light’.

1 Like

I’ve never thought of the top of a Fraim stack as being a desirable place for a turntable, especially an LP12. I’m surprised from the Systempics thread how many people with very costly systems actually do this. Maybe they know something I don’t?

1 Like

My LP12 was originally on the top of my Fraim for several months, but for me, it works much better on the rack I designed for it.
The Quartz slab it sits on is standing on 4 Linn Speaker Spikes. The rack itself is constructed of solid Cherry timbers and standing on another 4 Linn speaker spikes onto basic 2 layer shoes (Stainless Steel and Silicone).
The glass shelves are 12mm toughened glass but without any isolation, they just sit on the frame.
The Marine Ply platform is standing on 8, 10mm diameter stainless steel threaded dowels and held in place by Nylon Cushioned nuts over stainless steel washers and is absolutely rigid.
My LP12 has never sounded so good to my ears, which means I’m quite happy with its position😊

5 Likes

A final order has been decided on and the whole system stripped down and rebuilt this morning, complete with proper cable dressing, by Tony of Basically Sound.

Fraim:

NAC 282
NAP 300 DR
2x Hi Cap DR
XPS-2 DR
NAP 300 PS

TT Stand

LP12
NDX 2 - Cyrus Phono Signature
7000 CDT - Cyrus PSX-r2

Speaker position has adjusted slightly, as has rack position. REL T5/x has not moved and the NAP SC is still sited behind it in the corner.

I am very pleased with both how it looks and more importantly how it SOUNDS…:grin:

8 Likes

What he said - try to get all the low voltage gear (sources, preamps) away from the high voltage stuff (power supplies and amps).

This is how it is staying now.
Source on the left, amplification on the the Fraim, with the power supplies at the bottom.
It’s well balanced and sounds quite marvellous. :blush:

2 Likes

I really like the “other” rack. Is the whole thing your design or just the TT bit? If the latter, where is it from? Thanks.

100% my design and matches the Vinyl Racks I had made at the same time.
The TT base is a piece of 20mm Solid Quartz cut by the stone guys that supplied the surfaces for my new kitchen. It’s the same material and is sitting on 4 Linn speaker spikes.
The frame is solid Cherry to match the LP12 plinth, Linn Keilidh’s and the Fraim wooden elements.
I’m really pleased with how it turned out and it works very well. :blush:

4 Likes

au fond du jardin :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.