The Best Things, (Come to Those Who Wait)

Sure.
Once had Meridian DSP7200, in same high gloss black finish.
Stunning. But, yes, it’s a challenge :+1:
Maybe the trick is NOT to clean them. LOL :joy:

What did you go with?

I have had the same finish, with every PMC speaker I have owned. I find out of all the finishes that PMC had or do provide, that this is the best overall.

3 Likes

It is easy to blend in, hides most defects, including fingerprints and does not need cleaning religiously. Did I forget, it also makes some rather nice noises. :blush:

2 Likes

Lovely speaker @NoNaim - I think all 4 of the finishes PMC offer these in work very well.
I used to have PMC GB1i’s in oak. Smashing little speakers but didn’t have enough bottom-end welly for my tastes. Agree the wood finishes do a good job of not showing up dust or fingerprints AND they sound great.

1 Like

I have an n-dac and demoes an ndx2 into it. I then got a pulse and much prefer the sound of that into the n-dac so Pulse is definately worth a listen.It has a very different sound signature though (cleaner and more detailed) so a listen will be required.

1 Like

Sure, I noticed you had moved over from the ZENmini recently. That’s interesting feedback on the Pulse

Pulse, is in my sights too, when it becomes available. (Is this now in the dealers)?

As it has a SPDIF digital o/p, can be used with the nDAC, (which is unusual amongst recent external streamers and DAC’s mostly USB only). So that is a candidate too.

I got my pulse about 1 month ago. Took a week from order with my dealer to delivery. Don’t know if any dealers have them for demo though

1 Like

Okay. Thanks for letting me know.
That news causes me to take follow up action.
Speak again soon.

KR
R

p.s. think the Sense App, is quite brilliant amongst UI’s

Hi @ratrat

Fully agree. I have dedicated mains as a result of lurking on this forum. As you say, the wisdom and people’s generosity in sharing knowledge on here is terrific, hence me getting an electrician to install direct cables to a dedicated consumer unit for the hifi.
It was literally the first piece of work we did in the new home!
This forum has also been great at helping me to identify a suitable shortlist for kit to demo (at the dealer and then at home).

I now spend 95% of my time on this forum in the music room and that tells its own story.

Music wise, I have been a fan of The Blue Nile for almost 40 years so I use first 2 albums as a reference simply because I am so familiar with their work. I like to hear how a system replicates the bass and the detail from the opening title track of A Walk Across the Rooftops.

Portrait Gallery by Luke Howard - contemporary classical music with a twist of ambient.
Some beautiful piano playing and I want to hear how a system conveys piano music.

Why We Build The Wall by Anais Mitchell - the vocal features Greg Brown who has the deepest, richest and most soulful voice (its in Lee Marvin territory!)

Pharaohs by SBTRKT
Electronica that has a stop-start thing going on which is excellent to gauge how agile/fast a system is.

Heart is a Drum by Beck.
Checking out acoustic guitar and bass. In my previous house this track used to rattle the door frames if I cracked up the volume!!

I Don’t Live Here Anymore by The War on Drugs
I want to see if a system can manage the complexity of the music and make it sound effortless and unhurried but with impact (or does the music sound flustered/cluttered?)

Repititioner by Thus Love
The production on this album is absolute pants and I want to hear if a system can make a badly recorded / produced track listenable.

In typing this up I have realised that I haven’t been analysing music for a while, rather just listening to it and enjoy it without "looking " at it.

Really enjoyed reading your post and I hope you manage to find the speakers that are right for you, your room, system, and partner!

1 Like

Great…
Here we go with some very worthwhile “thread drift”…
Have you heard “Mid Air”, solo album by Paul Buchanan (2012) ?

Found the 10th anniversary 2LP edition, a few weeks ago. It’s been played constantly on our LP12 - here - in our house.

4 Likes

I like sense but prefer to use Roon (I have a lifetime sub for Roon) Sense probably sounds slightly better though.

1 Like

Completely understand that idea :+1:

Interestingly, Innuos are now compatible with HQPlayer as is roon so you can run Roon via HQPlayer into the innuos which gives plenty of sound options.

What is the finish on the pictured one please?

Oak

Also available in

• Walnut
  • Diamond black
  • White silk
1 Like

White shows any dirt or soiled fingerprints, easily
Diamond black is just a dust and fingerprint magnet.
Walnut shows fade or where you have left the grilles on, for a time.
Just my opinion. :blush:

1 Like

@IainO I tend to agree. I’m currently trying out an nDac (previously in storage) on NDX2/555. There are differences that I like over the NDX2/555 e.g. greater detail and texture of instruments (“insight” and “timbre” spring to mind) with some added heft on bass. (The additional required plumbing should be considered too, though.)

Initially, it all felt a bit much and possibly imbalanced for my room/speakers/ears, etc. But, my ears/brain have adjusted more now and there’s something that keeps bringing me back :slight_smile:

If I only had NDX2/555 I personally would not seek out an nDac to purchase - NDX2/555 is mighty fine and I would instead look at the path to ND555.

3 Likes

Greater detail and fuller bass perfectly describes nDAC/555 vs NDX2/555.

Overall just sounds better timed and more cohesive.

As I’ve said on other posts - were we ever to change room or speakers we’d be sure to reevaluate and might come to a different conclusion.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.