The Big Switch Off...to Save Energy

The OP called it a 80w tube heater, so it may be one of those things you put in the bottom of an airing cupboard when you remove the immersion tank, to keep your towels dry and warm

1 Like

Good point.

Happened a few doors away in a rented property and on Mrs ACā€™s mumā€™s street when light was seen coming form the eaves regularly with no loft conversion. In our case, the quietest no problem tenants thereā€™d been there in a long while but theyā€™d bypassed the consumer unit and had a little factory growing the stuff. Weirdest thing is that I didnā€™t even know for over 18 months after the operation was ā€˜bustedā€™.

1 Like

This is mine. There is a separate box with a clamp that fits aroind the live feed and detects power flowing through it.

1 Like

My late fatherā€™s last job dealt with energy saving initiatives in the community and I think he gave me something similar supplied by the electricity companies long before Smart meters - clamps that went around the mains inlet cables before the industrial fuse I think or shortly thereafter - powered vy a few C or D cell batteries with a separately powered receiver display. Must dig it out!

Thatā€™s interesting. A Clamp, if I understand correctly, can only measure the current flowing in a cable. To calculate the Wattage (Power) it would also need to know the Voltage. So does it guess that, or plugs in near the device under test?

1 Like

Correct, it wouldnā€™t know the exact voltage but is good for seeing changes when something is switched on or off.

2 Likes

I guess they were just used to show relative usage - it didnā€™t have to be accurate just an indicator of consumption under various conditions.

I was going to ask why this ā€˜confrontationā€™ has arisen now.

If finances are tight (and they are for many people) just turn stuff off when not using the system and defer a decision on getting rid of the Naim equipment until you can decide if it provides more positives than negatives.

You say your hearing isnā€™t great - could the electricity usage be a clever tactic on your partnerā€™s behalf to hint that you may be playing things via the Naim system far too loud for their comfort?

Donā€™t forget all the clutter and media storage issues which come with hi-fi - they may have irritated a significant other for some time, but if they no longer think you get as much enjoyment from the system as you used to itā€™s probably not unreasonable to suggest decluttering media and reducing box counts to a domestically acceptable level if the system doesnā€™t add a lot more value to you these days. If it does however keep it and reach some kind of compromise.

2 Likes

I also meant to add that several users have reduced box counts to say Uniti Atom/Nova levels and are now far happier with fewer boxes than complex systems.

Many users have also reported extremely positive experiences with hearing aids after hearing has deteriorated - you may have some already, but if not certainly something to look into.

Yes to be clear again, weekly reading are high and we do not know what is main culpritā€¦
no electric water heater
no horticulture
no material heating appliance
no furnace
no electric cooking oven or hob
no obvious electric kit that has continuous current draw to account for this consumption

Yes, only identified change is turning off the tube heater and the Naim amp changed and weekly meter reading down one third approximately to 105 from previous week 175.

Understood, and if I decide not to sell up and live in a dark hole in the groud I will simply turn on and off as necessary.

That is the case then. Anyway nothing has changed here in the past two weeks to explain the behavior of the meter readings.

Yes, but the only change is the tube heater off and the Naim amp swap to Bantam Oneā€¦

I will be looking at adding something like this to investigate.
The existing question is how just changing the amp and switching off a tube heater makes such a difference to the weekly meter readings.

Yes, a smart meter does nothing I cannot do for myself with a weekly meter readingā€¦I know I have to find what consumes the power, and I made two changes and have a confusing result.

I do not think so, it is a 24 inch flat screen we got when the previous crt set went obsolete which must be 20 years ago. Anyway whatever it is it is still in the same use this week as last week, so is not contributing to the change in consumption.

Not so, the discussion is to explain the change in swapping one amp for another and switching off a tube heater.

Well for context, I have never visited a Costa, well never visit coffee shops or pubs, and do not eat out generally, though did have a fry-up lunch at Sanjayā€™s a few months ago near my birthday, and before that last year, which was disturbed by a call from the neighbor whoā€™s husband had collapsed and later died.

Yes, kettleā€¦but still a constant use in the weeks in questionā€¦

Well, for all that is has a very strange quality, and does not spill into the shadows in the same way an incandescent light does, and seems much more harsh for this effect. Even the warm leds seem cool, but that will be my impression rather than any science. Also led lamps do not attract moths and insects like the old lamps. Rod Elliott has a bit to say about incandescent lamp replacements on his website.

It is a 3 foot tube heater usually put in greenhouses, and put in the conservatory to avoid condensation and just checked, apologies, it is 180wā€¦sorry for the typo. Still not significant in the scale of the discrepancy here.

Thanks.
Is that like a clamp meter?
Would a clamp meter and some maths do the same thing?

Please advise me if you find it.

Essentially because the letters re the energy cap arrived and there was some discussion in the park among the dogwalkers, and comparison of various tariffs and energy companies, and the ending comments to Mrs ā€œā€¦you pay how much!!..ā€ and a conversation back home about swapping energy companies. I have a fundamental objection that energy price is not fixed for all consumers at the same price, we all have to consume some electricity, and we should all pay the same price for a unit, and the so called standing charge. Not like choosing a non essential like hifi where free choice and choice of product is applicable. It is the fact of being an essential service (like waterā€¦). Finance is a question of now being OAPā€™s and me having no other pensions due to the way life turns out, so put simply no extra extravagance (for example coffee at Costa or another Naim box service (ā€¦it cost how much?..).

No, being a semi detached always tempered the desire to turn it up. Ear damage due to abuse in the work environment in younger days before any health and safety, and old age. The clutter has been an irritant for many years, not just the hifi, but all manner of stuff salvaged from all sorts of places. With the realisation that many long held ambitions will now never materialise much of it has gone, including almost all the photographic stuff. I am thinking there is still a long way to go, and time is running outā€¦for ambition fulfillment as well as stuff shedding.

Three boxes on a wall shelf (no room for a floor standing support) is surely not excessive, and looks quite neat!!..
It is not just hearing loss but intrusive tinnitusā€¦

Sorry this has become so longā€¦

1 Like

This

to this

Maybeā€¦

maybe in the rackā€¦
Have to work out where to put the Rega CD player, needs space above for loading, and the Bantam is much wider than the shoebox Naim, so will not fir the rack unless on the topā€¦no CD access in this caseā€¦

1 Like

Far from excessive, and if it all works well it probably punches well above its weight value wise these days - just calculate what you paid originally/for servicing and overall duration of ownership - Iā€™m confident that will make you smile.

1 Like

Yes the TP-Link plugs are good. Iā€™ve got a few and have found them very useful. Some small gadgets around the home can use an alarming amount of electricity if theyā€™re on 24/7. I have a UV electric fly zapper in the kitchen that the bulb says 6W. However, when I plugged it into the TP smart plug, it stated the whole appliance was drawing 16w. So thatā€™s 16 x 24 x 365 = 140kw per year which at some recent point was about 50p per kw = Ā£70!

I now have the zapper on a schedule (on the TP plug) so it comes on at about 10pm and goes off at 1am. I donā€™t think many flies went into it during the day, as thereā€™s too much daylight to distract them. At night I can hear various zapping going on, so itā€™s doing a good job and saving energy.

2 Likes

It is yes. This is the receiver, the sender sits in the meter cupboard with the clamp wrapped around the live tail.

1 Like

Thats about 30kWh per week!

3 Likes

Ā£1085 purchase 1988
Ā£523 service 2019

Ā£1608 total costā€¦36 years
Ā£44 per year just for the amp
Turntable Ā£1500 (s/h 1987)
Speakers Ā£145 (s/h 1972)
Speaker Stands 120!
Rega CD Ā£270 (s/h 2010)

I was working in a decent job in those early daysā€¦downhill ever since.

So about 12p per day for the amp over the duration of ownership excluding power - fantastic value, and donā€™t forget if you do decide to sell youā€™ll probably still get a nice return on the items which will reduce that figure further.

I got a Linn Lingo PSU for my Linn LP12 over 30 years ago - Ā£500 at the time but sold it for a few hundred a few years ago. Utter bargain over the longer term.

1 Like

105 + 30 = 135 kWh

Amps 40kWh !?

Closer, will ask some more questionsā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t quite follow the calculations but previously posted roughly 22W/h for NAP 250 DR and 9W/hr for HICAP DR I think correlate with my non-DR versions.

So 31W or so/hr > 744 W/day > 272 kWh per annum.

Maybe Ā£75-Ā£85 per annum depending on electricity costs.

Not a tiny cost but far from extortionate for enjoyment. Have them on for 6h/day and itā€™s maybe Ā£20/annum overall.

1 Like