The Blue Nile - about to sell another million or two

I saw them in 1990 in the new Glasgow Royal Concert Hall (crap name) for a then eye-watering price. After a couple of songs, a cheery Paul Buchanan said, “So, farewell enigma.” A wag yelled back, “To say nothing of 50 quid!”

To Buchanan’s credit, he joined in the laughter.

3 Likes

Not sure I’m going to get my order as this is what it says in the ‘Status’:

“This item is currently awaiting arrival of the stock. We are working as hard as we can to have this available as soon as possible.”

Anybody else who has placed an order have this message?
I’ve ordered Rooftops and Hats and notice Hats is now out of stock… :thinking:

On my social media news feed it states 40 years ago today since ‘A walk across the rooftops.’

1 Like

It was a music magazine Jonathan. I’ve never, as far as I can remember, written for a hi-fi mag. No idea what happened to the interview as I’ve churned out so much stuff over the past 37 years, and I’ve always been very careless about archiving stuff or keeping a scrapbook: I never dwell, just move on to the next job.

If I remember correctly, it it wasn’t one of my best published interviews but it was a very enjoyable afternoon, conducted in a flat above the old Studio 99 shop on Fairfax Road in Swiss Cottage. Paul was very friendly and garrulous, chain-smoking American cigarettes (Winston I think), Robert shy and more considered in his answers. PJ was pottering about in the flat somewhere. I can’t remember much of what was said, other than we talked a bit about Linn (PB and RB said they’d never heard an LP12, they signed with Ivor because Linn were a Glasgow firm and they were given complete autonomy and creative freedom), studio perfectionism and Steely Dan – it was 35 years ago after all!

4 Likes

I must say I think you have one of the best jobs given your passion for music and the arts!! You’ve done very well to make a living from your writing too for the past 37 years - wow!! I suspect music writing rates are better than hi-fi writing rates because frankly you’d need to write a colossal amount of stuff in hi-fi reviewing to make any kind of living nowadays and it only really works as a sideline to fund the hobby.

I certainly know what you mean about being careless about archiving stuff though as I am the same (although it’s easier with print magazines to keep a copy) but with the stuff I write for the web I never bother archiving or downloading it at all. I think I still have nearly every issue of Hi-Fi News I ever wrote for, but they’re jumbled in with the copies I didn’t write for so it’s all a bit chaotic really!

How brilliant you met them though - such a shame they seemingly fell out.

JonathanG

1 Like

I see from the website they are doing a second run of the 2024 repress due June 2024, limited to 1000 this time!

Received my copies of Rooftops & Hats today… :+1: :grinning:

1 Like