The Box Conundrum... Save OR get Rid?

I keep my Naim and Linn boxes. Other stuff (household goods etc), I usually keep until the warranty expires, then dispose of it.

1 Like

All kept at the back of the garage.

1 Like

We have a large loft (approx. 115 square metres) and I keep all component boxes. I also keep the boxes for more expensive domestic appliances until the end of their warranty.

This thread is a timely reminder that I need to cull some of the older boxes that are hiding in various corners. The Naim boxes are somewhere in here:

Most of our CDs are stored in stacks of grey bins. The bins are marked so that I can find anything that might be needed again without a lengthy search:

At the moment, we use a portable bluetooth loudspeaker in this corner, but I have enough spare components and speakers to set up a good CB system in this area:

A large loft is a luxury and makes it easy to store large plants over the winter. Our cats love the loft and have cushions on various shelves and piles of suitcases where they like to doze when they want some peace and quiet.

2 Likes

Same here by and large - Linn and Naim always in the loft. Speakers tend to be a pain and I tend to take the staples out and store them flat. Were looking at a house move in a couple of years so worth having everything wrapped up and protected on the day. Over the years some Naim equipment has gone in for servicing so good to keep boxes for these events I think. Pain though - it’s amazing how much of the loft is taken up!

1 Like

Well it’s a conundrum but I think I have the solution, I’ll just have to build an extension to keep my boxes in :grinning:

2 Likes

keep them! Especially for High end stereo equipment. Unless you dont plan on selling them.

1 Like

I spy a Saeco Cannondale. Is it a CAAD4?

Mine are in a climate-controlled storage unit along with other boxes, record flight cases, etc. I’ve moved quite a few times in my life and it was always good to have proper packaging for everything. Additionally, selling is so much easier and you get a higher price (though you should offset how much it cost to store it).

1 Like

That is one of two CAAD6 and I just did 50 km on it as a TGIF ride. The other one is in Saeco red. If I ever get bored, I also have a CAAD4 in Saeco red and a CAAD7 in the red/silver livery that get used outdoors in decent weather. Hidden in the loft are also CAAD2 and 3 frames in Saeco red that need to be completed.

I still ride a CAAD8 as my go-to geared road bike and a CAAD5 Aero and a Slice when I pretend that I can still ride competitively.

To complete the theme, I have a Saeco team jersey signed by Cippolini. A friend of mine has an Aero 4 frame made for Cippolini that is almost a perfect fit for me. One day it will be mine. :slight_smile:

I used to have a 2003 Cannondale CAAD 5 R800 sport exactly like the one in the picture before it got stolen from my garage.

Very nice and a shame that it was stolen. The aluminium frames tend to be a bit unforgiving on poor road surfaces, but they do respond well when it matters.

1 Like

Looks like we might have the basis of a ‘Show us your Cannondale’ thread.

I’ve got a red Saeco CAAD4 built up with a modern Athena groupset, a CAAD5 frame, a CAADX which does all the day to day and winter miles and a Super Six which deserves a better rider.

Happy riding!

2 Likes

Nice! I really like the colour schemes (and tubing) from that era.

I think The Box Conundrum part of the thread has run it’s course so be my guest to post away with some pics of Cannondales…

1 Like

MADE IN THE USA back then, not the same now.

I don’t want to overstep the mark. Im a newcomer here. :grinning:

@Maddog - It’s my thread so feel free…

Keep boxes in the loft, shipped my hifi in them during our recent house move, prior to that some of the boxes had been in our old loft for over 30years!

1 Like

Hi.

I keep all my hifi boxes. I have found it adds value when selling/trading in. Also needed if sending for service/repair. I also keep all the original protective inners. Along with all receipts.
The box, well crate, that was an issue to store was the wooden packing crate my Palmer 3 turntable came in.

1 Like

Blimey Leggit, that loft is asking to become a hoarder! :thinking::joy: