The Box Conundrum... Save OR get Rid?

I keep all of them. I tend to buy, try, and sell. Boxes are essential. Especially if you keep stuff a long time. One may move or need to send out for repair, or sell.

Ha, you should see the cellar! Kidding aside, I do need to cull a lot of old boxes for items that are way past the end of their warranty. It would also help if I put some of the smaller boxes in the larger ones.

We also have some stuff stored for relatives who are living in Australia at the moment. When they come back to Europe, that will free up some space for more hifi boxes and bikes.

If you live in a flat of modest size then keeping boxes is not an option. I got rid of 7 new Naim boxes and PMC speaker boxes. It was excruciating but anyone with small dwelling knows that sometimes your hands are tied.

And it was the right decision. When I moved some years later, I purchased all new boxes and packing foam from Naim. The shipping alone to Japan was GBP400 and my dealer said I needed my head looked at. But a storage container in Tokyo big enough for all that would have cost more for one month! So chucking the lot and buying new 6 years later was wayyyyyy cheaper.

Of course, if I had a loft or basement, then of course chucking boxes away wouldn’t even enter my head.

3 Likes

So true, a hifi fanatic colleague, sensibility keeps his boxes in his apartment by flattening them for storage. I am not sure what he does with the internal packing foam/ polystyrene blocks though?

1 Like

Just on the internal foam. I received a piece of Olive kit this week and that was packed with a cardboard construction. Is it time that Naim returns to this? The polystyrene foam is not easily recyclable.

I had replacement speakers with boxes flattened and stored under the sofa with the foam ends in the back of a closet. Storing a couple boxes down the back of something or under the sofa is one thing. A whole load of boxes and foam ends is quite another.

Luckily I now live near my father in law. His big empty house is basically free storage.

1 Like

I’ll have to get myself a new father in law :grimacing:

1 Like

Yeah, but the foam from 8 flattened boxes takes up the same space as ~2 not-flattened ones and easier to distribute around the apartment and keep, like under the sofa as feeling_zen wrote

I agree that modern packaging can do better but at least the Naim foam is typically useful for decades

Yeah, not a complaint. Just an observation. Amazon for example have changed to masses of paper and cardboard. It helps when I go to the local tip. Here in France they are hot on this stuff and I have to separate the polystyrene and put it in to a separate bag and of course the small broken bits blow all over the place. Of course I won’t be throwing away any Naim packaging just yet.

1 Like

By they way, if I got rid of them I’d sell them on ebay, make another Naim owner happy, and give the foam another bunch of years to stay useful

3 Likes

You would have to be very careful how you describe that listing.

You’d know you got it wrong when bidding reached £4000 for your NDX2 box :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:smiley: Yeah. But they are sold quite regularly really.
There was one guy in Germany who auctioned his car with a starting price of 1 Euro and enabled “Buy it now”. He won in court though because it was judged an obvious mistake that cannot constitute a binding contract

1 Like

Thinking back to my first car…on that judgement, I might not of won that court case :rofl:

All my Naim boxes had the serial number on them, valuable for an insurance claim -especially if bought new

1 Like

I bought an A&R A60 amplifier in 1983 when I was still at school. I used it for 29 years, until one channel failed. I got in touch with Arcam to see if they could recommend someone to fix it. They told me to send it to them, which I did, in its original box. It came back fully repaired with a note saying that as I’d kept the box all those years, the service was free of charge! It still works today.

3 Likes

Very nice!

CAAD 8 permanently on turbo

CAAD 10 in Portugal for when we visit family :smiley:

Super six Evo - best summer bike.

2 Likes

Drool and nice to have the option of keeping a bike at your “other” home rather than having to transport one back and forth.

My sister keeps a road bike with appropriate gearing for the mountains in Savoy. Sadly, she has not been able to use it this year.

Nice! Look well cared for.

Deffo keep. I’ve just sold five black boxes and I’m sure the amount I got would have been reduced without being able to box them all up properly. At a push you can always fold them flat I suppose

1 Like