The classical music thread

Elusive Disc got bak to me and say they do plan to carry the new series, but don’t know when they will list them for pre-order. I will wait until I have an order in before I cancel the one with the DG Classics store.

You Brits are on your own now. LOL

When I pass away my collection will be sold to a buyer, and proceeds going to cancer research and animal shelters (because dogs are better than people). I might just have to put an addendum in the trust and make sure you get my Vegh.

For reference, what breed of dog are you?

3 Likes

Dogs don’t listen to music, dogs are music.

The dog references must be some in joke which I’m not party to.

Because I said half the proceeds of my collection go to dogs. It was tongue-in-cheek.

Well, you this week’s task then! :rofl::rofl:

I have the new DG “Original Source Series” reissues of Emil Gilels · Berliner Philharmoniker/Eugen Jochum to look forward to later this year.

1 Like

Just bought this on Ebay. £14.99, in ex. condition.
Will go nicely with the Collins cycle I pick up tomorrow.

2 Likes

Well done on finding the Anthony Collins set - not easy to do, for reasons that escape me. It’s an interesting take on Sibelius. Also well recorded, which is a nice bonus.

I wonder why Anthony Collins is such an unknown figure?

I put my prejudices aside in order to check my hard learned wisdom that cheap, used, poor condition original vinyl buys offer more music than recently repressed and reissued vinyl and recently bought a batch of 5 new records for around £20 a go. Mixed results; 2 are going back for refund, 2 are OK, but offer no more than charity shop buys (but quieter surfaces), but the fifth was the exception to the rule and made the exercise all worthwhile as it’s utterly outstanding in every respect. The Testament reissue of the the Ida Haendel/Adrian Boult recording of the Elgar Violin Concerto. Grab a copy if you can.

Elgar: Violin Concerto - Vinyl Edition
Label: Testament
Catalogue Number: ASD3598

1 Like

Surely that’s an EMI original record (it has the EMI logo and you cite an EMI serial number), rather than a Testament reissue?

Testament Records always show their own ‘T’ logo and have a different catalogue number.

(I always chuckle to myself when I see a photo of Adrian Boult, as I’m reminded of one of Thomas Beecham’s best digs. He quipped: ‘Adrian Boult came to see me last night, reeking of Horlicks’.)

As if smelling of Horlicks were a crime - which it probably was, to Beecham’s way of thinking.

1 Like

I thought you were correct at first, but ti seems it may well be the Testament reissue. See Sir Edward Elgar, Ida Haendel, Sir Adrian Boult – Violin Concerto (2018, Vinyl) - Discogs

Classical?

You know there’s a corresponding jazz thread, right? :thinking:

Oops!

I mixed up classical and ‘classy’.

1 Like

I don’t doubt that Testament have re-issued the record. But your photo is of the EMI original, with its EMI logo, and you have quoted an EMI catalogue number, neither of which are ever seen on records issued on theTestament label. Apart from anything else, it would constitute an infringement of EMI’s copyright and intellectual property rights.

I have looked on Amazon, and found the Testament reissue. It has the same cover photo, but clearly shows the Testament logo, rather than EMI, in the top left corner of the record sleeve. I’d attach a photo here, but don’t know how to.

I won’t keep repeating myself.

Not me but him. But I still think it could still be a Testament reissue. And it would not constitute an infringement of EMI’s copyright and intellectual property rights if Testamant licensed it from them. That’s not uncommon.

Besides, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen reissues that look precisely like the originals in every way. Speakers Corner has done many of them. I am cleaning one now. I am cleaning one now. It’s Decca SXL 2027, Ansermet/Swiss Romande Dukas’ Le Peri and Debussy’s Jeux. It looks excatly like the original to every detail. disc labels, jacket, and it even has facsimiles of the original FFSS printed inner sleeves. But it’s a Speakers Corner reissue, and I only know that by examining the dead wax on the record. I keep a post it note in the jacket to remind me it’s the reissue (I bought it used and it had no hype sticker from Speakers Corner).

I have other reissues too that look like originals to every detail (except the record dead wax).

I can assure you that what you say in your first paragraph is wrong. Testament have assuredly licensed the recording from EMI, but that does not give them licence to infringe EMI’s trademarks.

I won’t say any more. If you look on the Amazon site, you can see the cover of the Testament re-issue.

By your logic then Speakers Corner have infringed on Decca’s trademarks, but it’s not infringement if Decca, or EMI, or whoever license their likeness for reissues of their records.

I’ll accept you might be right about this EMI/Testament in particular (but I trust the Discogs page, and resellers product pages that say otherwise). However, you are wrong with your generalization that a reissue cannot reproduce trademarks and likenesses.

They sure can – and do – if the property rights owner says they can. Again, Speakers Corner is the perfect example. Analogphonic is another good example. I have reissues (Philips, DGG, Melodiya, etc) that are Indistinguisable from the originals, until you look in the deadwax (and Analogphonic packages theirs with an Obi as well).

Here’;s the reissue at Elusive Disc. It has the EMI logo and catalog number. Ida Haendel Elgar Violin Concerto 180g LP

Amazon images are very unreliable for records. I did find a product page on Amazon that has the Testament logo, but that’s for the CD version.

This is pointless,

Testament reissues of EMI-licensed recordings do not show the EMI logo or have an EMI catalogue number - which was the point of our ‘exchange’.

I have no idea about Speakers Corner records. I have never seen one, let alone had one to play.