The classical music thread

Yes they do. I’ve already looked it and found it, in multiple places. Oh, and I just looked at Acoustic Sounds. Same deal.

And for the final proof in the pudding, here it is on EMI Testament website. The CD reissue has the Testament logo. The LP version has the original EMI artwork and catalog number. Search Results for “Ida Haendel Elgar Violin Concerto” – Testament

Maybe it’s time to start a seperate LP classical music thread?

No need to. I ordered the Testament EMI Elgar Concerto from Acoustic Sounds. I’ll post pictures when I get it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Time to spin Pergolesi’s Stabat Mater.

2 Likes

Picked this up yesterday. Got it as part of a 3 albums for £25, which means it essentially cost me £8.33🤷🏻‍♂️
Is it regarded as a decent recording by the Classical Thread community.
It will probably get a play tomorrow, but I just cleaned it and it looks like it’s never been out of the sleeve…:flushed:

4 Likes

It’s my favourite!

1 Like

That is a special recording of ‘Tosca’, with Leontyne Price smouldering in the title part, and you couldn’t’ have done better than have Domingo and Milnes as the male leads. (They were also paired in the DGG ‘Traviata’ under Carlos Kleiber with Ileana Cotrubas as the doomed heroine.)

I think that Leontyne Price also played the role for Karajan, with some distinction, on a Decca set with the Vienna Philharmonic.

PS. Yes, she took the tittle role in Karajan’s first recording of ‘Tosca’. Karajan took her under his wing, introducing her to European opera houses, after she had been unable to appear in opera houses in her native USA (which still operated a disgraceful racial colour bar at the time).

1 Like

I now look forward to its first play with a small thrill of excitement🤗

To compare, it’s also on Qobuz.

1 Like

Seems the day for it

3 Likes

Great piece of music delivered by a great choir!

New College Choir was stunning under Higginbottom’s (what a name!) directorship. I very much enjoyed my regular attendance of the Saturday Evensong during my DPhil.

Recently, I went back, but I felt the choir wasn’t quite in the same shape, sadly. Or maybe I am just romanticising the olden days…

1 Like

Price’s Tosca with Karajan is the one to have. Not Mehta.

It’s the best Tosca on CD IMHO of course.

New College Chapel in Oxford is a very striking place.

Absolutely agreed. Karajan’s Tosca with Price to me is the definitive recording, and it’s also been recently given the Decca 24/96 remastering treatment, and it sounds absolutely glorious.

The words ‘best’ and ‘Tosca’ usually lead inevitably to Victor de Sabata’s 1953 EMI La Scala recording with Maria Callas, Tito Gobi and Carlo Bergonzi. It has been rereleased recently, and I recommend it strongly. One of the best opera recordings that I have.

Victor se Sabata was an elusive genius who set the mould for Carlos Kleiber to follow. Neither of them ever made a bad record.

Mono sound, of course, but so well recorded that you don’t miss stereo. And Callas’s fierce interpretation of the title role has never been matched (although, as I’ve posted above, Leontyne Price was a special Tosca interpreter as well)…

I have the Callas/Sabatini Tosca boxset and CD… haven’t played it in awhile. I’ll remedy that.

Wonder if the reissue has been remastered…

…but not available on Vinyl😢

The records have a sticker on the cellophane wrapping, which states ‘Vinyl Passion Classical 180 gram Audiophile Vinyl Pressing’.

The small print on the back of the cover has the words ‘Original Recording Remastered DMM Cutting’ and ‘Sound Factory BV’.

Hope this helps.

I shall probably listen to the LPs tonight.

Vinyl Passion?..new to me.

I’ll, um, ‘Discog it’.

Edit:
This the one?

Dutch company. 98 releases to their name.
No info on Discogs on the remastering of Tosca, unfortunately.

Yes, that’s exactly what I have - one set for me, and one set for my son as an introductory batch of LPs to get him started with the LP12 which Grahams in London are putting together for him.

As I posted above, the blurb says that the LPs have been remastered, but I can’t add to that.