The classical music thread

That ‘Tosca’ is easily one of the best recordings ever made. The producer Walter Legge is said to have used ‘miles’ of tape trying to capture the perfect recording - but you’ll know this, as you have the CDs.

It was recorded in mono (not that you’d really notice) and EMI tried a stereo remake with Callas in the early 1960s - it’s pretty dreadful, as Callas’ voice was ruined by that stage in her career.

Assuming by the ‘dreadful’ comment you’re referencing the Pretre recording as posted a little while ago? I don’t find it so. Callas may not hit the highs she could when younger, and the recording is not as dynamic but I think dreadful is certainly not what I hear. Personally, I’m happy to have both!

My ‘dreadfull’ comment may have been a bit OTT, but the latter Callas ‘Tosca’ is no match for the earlier mono set. I think that Callas gave up making complete opera recordings immediately after that ‘Tosca’ set.

EMI brought in a younger singer to record the new stereo sets that had been planned for Callas, but I can’t remember her name. (She didn’t last long.)

Mäkelä?

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did JDP. There are plenty of more polished and spectacular performances than Ida’s, but the sonics here convince me that I’m listening to a real human being pouring her soul into her playing, most especially in the long slow section of the final movement which is just chilling.
I’ve ordered the Testament issue of Ida’s Sibelius Concerto with Bournemouth/Berglund on the strength of this Elgar LP. Fingers crossed it repeats the trick.

1 Like

The Saint-Saens Piano Concerto’s have never clicked with me before, but at £4 for a near perfect condition set I had to give it a go. Let’s see if Aldo can make me change my mind about these compositions.

1 Like

Is this the recording you refer to? I’m not sure of the label but it has a CD number of WS007. I wasn’t aware that it is a “bootleg” recording.
51I3bvNv-7L.AC

Yes, that’s the one - my copy has a different cover, but those are the same soloists and orchestra. As a matter of interest, where did you find that? I might try another release, to see if it improves on the poor sound quality of the copy that I have.

I bought mine some years ago when it came into stock at the Collector’s Room in Salisbury, which sadly closed a few years back, pre-covid. I don’t recall the sound as being particularly good, but I’ll have to re-listen to it as I haven’t played it for quite a while.
This recording appears not to be in stock on Amazon.co.uk, but you would be able to get it there in Mp3 format; there also seem to be copies available on the Eisen label?

I also have Aldo Ciccolini’s complete Eric Satie solo piano works in an EMI 6-LP box. Those are fun to play…although one isn’t allowed to listen. :wink:

1 Like

I am having a first listening to this one:

Not bad at all — a dynamic, jazzy piano concerto.

2 Likes

I’m going to see Ms Wang in a concerto by Magnus Lindberg, accompanied by the London Symphony Orchestra and Francois-Xavier Roth, as part of the Brighton Festival later in the year. I imagine that she’ll have different footwear.

I have no idea what to expect, but I know that I’ll enjoy the second half - Beethoven’s ‘Pastoral’ Symphony.

I’m really looking forward to it. A friend of mine from my Oxford days, David Alberman, leads the Orchestra’s second violins, so I’ll try to have a word with him.

If my recollection from Berlin Phil’s digital concert hall is correct, I wouldn’t hold my breath… Comfort doesn’t seem high on Yuja Wang’s agenda when choosing footwear.

Good for her. She has the looks, so she might as well flaunt it!

All men here play the second violin.

There are actually sprint runs for women wearing high heels.

1 Like

Is that while doing a handstand :wink:

Does anyone have a preferred performances/recordings of the Carl Nielsen Symphonies?

Ole Schmidt, who recorded all six on Unicorn in the 1970s, would be my first choice.

You all suck the life out of my wallet, but at least my soul is well-served. I just ordered a Mint- copy of that on discogs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have that Ole Schmidt Unicorn set of Nielsen symphonies. Lovely natural and clear recordings.

I seem to recall reading that they were recorded in a church in London when industrial action had led to a series of power cuts, leaving the orchestra to don multiple layers of warm clothing to keep warm.

Is the set still available to buy new? I haven’t heard of Unicorn Records in years.

I must listen to them all again soon.

1 Like