The classical music thread

When I climb the stairs from those 1950/60s jazz clubs I love for a little fresh air you will find me loitering here or thereabouts.

3 Likes

Possibly not “classical“ if defined narrowly — but in any case, it’s a fun version of The Nutcracker IMHO…

2 Likes

It seems like Bruckner’s 3rd is where most Bruckner conductors like to make a difference nowadays. It’s a great work slightly let down by, I feel, a fourth movement that tries too much and ends up nondescript. Many good recordings exist, with this one being my current favourite.

Cheers
EJ

1 Like

I would tend always to go back to Eugen Jochum’s DG set, made with the Berlin Phil and his own Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, packaged in a satisfyingly chunky big box of LPs.

He re-recorded his Bruckner for EMI in Dresden (from memory), but they weren’t as satisfying - to my ears anyway.

Have you heard the Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music version on L’Oiseau-Lyre (Decca)? That one is fantastic. It’s my favorite.

Here’s a good article about it too. Handel's "Messiah"—And The Recording That Changed The Classical Record Industry | Tracking Angle

3 Likes

IMG_2684
This KCO box just arrived, spanning four decades of live Bruckner recordings. Now listening to Sanderling conducting the 3rd symphony, recorded in 1996.

Never heard it - many thanks for the heads up, I just purchased the download at Presto and will give it a virtual spin this holiday.

Cheers
EJ

2 Likes

I have a CD of this, but it is only the highlights. I have been searching for the full version for a long time, unsuccessfully.

Does anybody have any suggestion?

Edit: found in Discogs!

1 Like

Mehta’s 8th from 2005 is a must-hear performance, very powerful!

EJ

1 Like

Glad you found it. I have had the 3-LP set I purchased when it first came out, and Christopher Hogwood signed it when he was in St. Louis in 1983.

I don’t even listen to other versions. This one is the best IMO.

6 Likes

Wow!

And many thanks for the beautiful, excellent article you proposed above.

1 Like

It’s my absolute favourite too, although my version is on CD.

The Trumpet Shall Sound is one of my test tracks and if those trumpets don’t well and truly soar then I’m not getting on very well with that system. I’ve heard it so many times the last few months I think I could sing along with David Thomas note perfect, not that anyone would want to hear me mind you.

1 Like

I’ve had time to listen to Mahler 1 & 4 recently and they have been much more satisfying through my new system, which in all respects delivers the music so much better than my old one.

I have never experienced any Mahler in the concert hall, or Bruckner for that matter. largely because I have avoided them after not been overly impressed listening to recordings. Perhaps it’s time for me to break that duck too!

1 Like

Agreed. It is a very illuminating read.

1 Like

Angela Hewitt’s 2018 partitas, a great performance captured in stunning sound.

Cheers
EJ

4 Likes

Cheers
EJ

2 Likes

DSD64 download

1 Like

I have the box set, which is chronological order. That’s Disc 1.

The set includes one disc licensed from a budget label (Turnabout?). It consists of trios for clarinet, piano, and viola. That may be an even earlier recording.

Cheers
EJ

Very classy pianist, have seen him many times and have his discs of Kreisleriana and Schubert sonatas signed by him. His Schubert Impromptus remain unsurpassed.

Cheers
EJ