The classical music thread

I have Lindberg playing the complete Dowland on a single layer two-channel SACD - 4+ hours of music.

I don’t own the Milan disc, but it’s on a Tidal playlist. In addition to Smith’s Bach, I have discs of Weiss, Dufaut, De Visee, and Gaultier.

I also have Nigel North’s Bach. And I was listening to Anthony Rooney earlier today accompanying Emma Kirkby.

2 Likes

I was once a graduate musicology student and Mediaeval/Renaissance studies was my area of study (and I have forgotten most of what I learned). Great stuff.

3 Likes

I also have the Narcisco Yepes Bach Lute Works on Archiv. I have yet to decide which I like better (vs the Hopkinson Smith on Astree).

1 Like

Anyway, I’m now listening to Walter Geiseking’s solo piano works of Mozart. I have a 5-LP box set of reissues (recorded 1953-54) collected on German EMI. I have a very nice mono cartridge (Lyra Atlas Lambda) and this sounds really quite nice.

5 Likes

I saw Emma Kirkby with Christopher Wilson at the Wigmore Hall. John Dowland fascinates me. Born a year before Shakespeare and died 10 years after. He seems to have been a stubborn personality. He claimed his income had been restricted by being a Catholic when at the time that was not generally known that he had converted from his Protestant faith and two life long Catholics, Thomas Tallis and William Byrd were given exclusive publishing rights by Queen Elizabeth.
His letter to Robert Cecil, Liz’s chief spymaster, from Rome (English citizens were banned from travelling to southern Catholic Europe) where Dowland tries to explain how he was approached to be part of a Catholic plot to kill the Queen but he was having nothing to do with it is interesting reading!

2 Likes

I think this is my only vihuela recording.

I have the Julian Bream DVD where he starts with the earliest Spanish vihuela music moving on to the baroque guitar and then to the 19th century classical guitar. As you may know Julian had a fantastic guitar maker working in his barn so he could have all these guitars made for him. The DVD was based on a four part TV programme made for Channel 4.

1 Like

A few years ago Brilliant issued a large guitar box set. Presto offered it in (IIRC) five large downloads at very competitive prices. I believe I bought two, including the ones devoted to Spanish and classical guitar.

The problem is that they did not come with any liner notes. I don’t even know who is playing, much less the instruments. The track listings list the composers.

Edit - I have the list of performers via Tags, but no info about specific instruments.

I can’t tell what this is. Your image is too small for my old eyes.

1 Like

Thanks. Playing it now on the Atom (Qobuz/Roon) in my home office while I work.

1 Like

A lovely, flowing performance of Schubert’s quintet. The way the Brodsky’s manage and play the third movement in particular is magical.

Cheers
EJ

4 Likes

When I was just starting out as a classical music collector, the owner of a record shop recommended me this recording, which had just appeared on CD (1990). It has been among my favourite recordings of the violin sonatas since. Kuijken’s violin doesn’t sound as virtuosic or agile as the norm today, but this is heartfelt playing, and Leonhardt remains one of the instrument’s all time masters. The 1973 recording sounds excellent, full and close up, a few audible tape cuts, and with just the tiniest hint of loss of air (probably caused by mastering noise reduction) - if the tapes are still available, this cries out for a remastering.

Cheers
EJ

3 Likes

L’Arpeggiata sometimes include music by Kapsberger in their recitals, but one of their early discs was entirely devoted to him. It’s nicely varied, including vocal as well instrumental pieces, well played and recorded as might be expected.

Roger

1 Like

I like Kuijken and Leonhardt. I have the original vinyl version of this album. I also have Kuijken’s version of the Bach Solo Sonatas and Partitas for Violin (among five other versions on vinyl). He’s a great performer if you like the period performance practices approach.

I don’t have that, but I do have Barthold Kuijken’s recordings of the flute sonatas with Leonhardt (and others).

I also realize that while I have four sets of the sonatas and partitas, none are HIP.

Maybe I’m dense today, but “HIP”?

Historically Informed Practice/Performance (take your pick)

On CD. Charity shop today. Will be interesting to compare with the complete Beethoven set Alfred Brendel recorded with Sir Simon Rattle much more recently.

1 Like

Thanks. I didn’t know that acronym. Or maybe I did and my old brain leaked data.

So on that HIP acronym, I have 6 sets of the sonatas and partitas and just the Kuijken is what I would call HIP. In any case, I don’t have a favorite. I like different ones at different times.