The classical music thread

I’m sure it sounds great, but the work is just not important enough to me. Likewise, I was in two minds about buying the Steinberg set because I didn’t care enough for the Hindemith works. On balance I’m glad to have the Holst and Strauss, so not unhappy, but I’d have been much happier just buying those 2 separately had it been an option.

I see. The Hindemith is the highlight of the Steinberg set for me. I could do without the Strauss, and the Holst is quite good, but not my favorite version of the work.

I’m now looking forward to the Karajan/Berliner Bruckner box. Those performances are great, but the mastering of the OG box I have leave a bit to be desired. I think the TOS version will correct all that.

1 Like

Hoping you are right JDP. I have that set on order too…

I’m still waiting for domestic preorders to appear. I don’t have it ordered yet, but will as soon as I can. My wife is buying it for my birthday, which is just two days after the August 2 release.

Marriner’s Barbiere di Siviglia, with Francisco Araiza and Agnes Baltsa at the beginning of their careers and under a conductor without much opera experience, turned out to be maybe the work’s best recording. No doubt thanks to Thomas Allen whose Figaro is in a class of his own.

The same team made an equally enjoyable Cenerentola a few years later.

Cheers
EJ

3 Likes

Full of great melodies and a classic plot (which ends in death by poison), Cilea’s Adriana Lecouvreur is not high art but entertaining from start to finish. The title role calls for a lot of power but not many high notes, so ideal for Scotto at this stage of her career.

Cheers
EJ