The classical music thread

Some of my favourite Brahms symphonies @EJS

3 Likes

Jiggy is known to be a punchy conductor.

1 Like

Not a pleasant man, by all accounts, but I’m starting to realize a visionary conductor.

1 Like

I have also completely stopped purchasing digital downloads in favor of Qobuz and local streaming of my existing digital library. I find that where digital liner notes are not available, texts and translations are readily available other places, whether in book form (like the Fischer-Dieskau book of Lieder or Bernac’s Interpretation of French Song, or sundry volumes of opera libretti), liner notes from other recordings of the same piece, concert programs, or just online. It takes a little effort, but it’s worth it! And it seems like digital liner notes are included in Qobuz with increasing frequency.

Relatedly, I don’t really have an issue with the economics of streaming, as no one has a right to any particular level of compensation for art. In my mind it’s all about a free marketplace, supply and demand, etc., and the consuming public has clearly communicated the value it places on recorded music through the marketplace. I would probably pay more, but most other folks would not, which means it is a bargain to me. Digital downloads, on the other hand, were starting to feel a bit expensive and arbitrarily priced. Especially for my 10th recording of some piece or other!

1 Like

I have always loved these recordings of the Brahms symphonies:

And these recordings of the Schumann symphonies:

Can’t beat that VPO brass section!

1 Like

The Levine Brahms is near the top of my wish list, and I’ve looked online for a good set of CD’s for a while, but no luck yet. I do have the CD of Levine’s Schumann 2 & 3 inbound.

Tastes differ and in the case of Bernstein’s Schumann, I’ve personally found this to be in a similar league as Haitink and Sawallisch: dull!

1 Like

Julian Prégardien’s Die Schöne Müllerin, recorded after a series of high profile performances, is in a way as interventionist as Ian Bostridge’s, but where Bostridge emphases the text and micromanages the music around it, Prégardien uses affects to emphasize emotions. He often ornaments the line, introduces unwritten notes, and moves between crooning and shouting. And yet, it’s all very musical and very well done. It helps that his voice is in prime condition, a beautiful instrument. Kristian Bezuidenhout is an ideal partner for him.

Listened on CD. Highly recommended!

Cheers
EJ

I don’t buy CDs any longer as I have a Qobuz subscription.
But when I did buy CDs I bought many from World of Books.
About 90% of those I’ve bought are good as new and some even arrive still wrapped in cellophane and cost me £3!
They’re VERY cheap and you get an additional 30% off if you buy 3

So here’s your starter -
https://www.wob.com/en-gb/music/audio-cd/brahms-symphony-no-3-tragic-overture-alto-rhapsody/0028943988728

2 Likes

Thanks for the link! I’ve resisted streaming for a long time, have the infrastructure in place now but I don’t like the experience of selecting music from an ipad, and the sound quality still lags CD despite the difference in resolution.

On the other hand, chasing cheap CDs in mint condition is fun, and not expensive.

Cheers
EJ

1 Like

Totally agree. I thought I am the only one who thinks that way.
The sense of entitlement from some in the arts community, not just musicians, can be astounding.
No one chips in to pay for my hobbies :wink:

That’s a really weird comment, IMO. We’re not paying hobbyists when we pay for media and streaming.

2 Likes

I hope you get paid for your chosen profession, though…

1 Like

no, you’re usually paying for someone elses.

yes, but not something I’d choose to do in my free time

Most musicians I know are not hobbiests. They are hard working professionals scratching to make a decent living.

3 Likes

I really enjoy this part too. So many great albums to be had that sound amazing :grin:

1 Like

So glad I spotted this post. Subsequently ordered 5 Mstislav Rostropovich albums for £2.51 each to add to my collection. :+1:

1 Like

I agree.

I have to admit I do enjoy the extremely wide choice and immediate availability of so much music through streaming. it’s great that, reading through a thread like this I can listen to recommendations straight away. It’s so very different from my early experiences in the LP era. But I do also worry about the sustainability of the streaming model into the future. It’s probably OK for the heavily promoted superstars but I wonder how well it works for young musicians trying to establish their careers.

On the other hand, there’s a much more positive view of streaming in an opinion piece in The Guardian newspaper by Steve Long who manages the excellent independent classical label Signum. Writing a few years ago, he argues that it is democratising access to a potentially intimidating part of the musical repertoire and giving new life to the back catalogue and even core repertoire. It’s an interesting take on things from an industry insider.

Roger

2 Likes

I have always thought that when it comes to Beethoven, things don’t get much better than Herbert von Karajan’s 1962 recording of the nine symphonies with the Berliner Philharmoniker. I have the SACD set and have ripped the 24/96 Blu-ray disc from the CD/Blu-ray box set.

A friend of mine has an original Deutsche Grammophon ‘tulip’ pressing of the vinyl box set that is sixty-two years old. He ripped it for me using a Rega RP6 and Audio Technica AT33 cartridge. I much prefer the sound of this rip to the SACDs or Blu-ray rip.

What price technology methinks :grinning:

1 Like