The classical music thread

Hi EJ. I am only going by the information on Qobuz.

It does sound really good though.
RK

Hummel: Concerto for Piano and Violin. A new discovery for me. Listening on Qobuz.

5 Likes

Ax and Ma are superb together in Beethoven’s cello sonatas, with glowingly warm, sympathetic, colourful performances. On this recording they play the five genuine cello sonatas, and the three sets of variations that Beethoven wrote for the combination. The variations are some of the most uninteresting music Beethoven has written IMO but the sonatas are superb. The recording is excellent.

Cheers
EJ

5 Likes

That must be a remake. I have the pair together in an 80s vintage recording, one of my earliest chamber music purchases on CD.

That’s right. These new recordings are from August 2020.

1 Like

I’m listening to Rubinsteins’ recording of Chopins nocturnes at the moment ( having studied on it myself tonight ).

For me, his performance remains the best. It’s an old but good recording and especially his timing and rubato playing is brilliant. Everything is just there. It’s unbelievable really.

I wish I could play that well … but then my piano is not really up to the task.

Anyhow. Chopin & Rubinstein it is.

5 Likes

Dear Mr. @Ardbeg10y,

What do you think about Bruce Liu?

Thanks a second time Roger. I managed to find a copy on Discogs in reasonable condition.

It’s a Very different reading to most, quite Klemperer-like in clarifying the score without undue emphasis or highlighting of any particular episode. For me, the first movement arguably benefited from this approach the most. Anyway, another fine performance to add to the roster!

1 Like

I am not one for old recordings but do respect those who can convey to others with great clarity why such a recording is their favourite, despite the terrible quality of sound – well done Ardbeg 10y (my favourite distillery by the way)

Huh? What has “terrible quality of sound”? I think I missed that part

I assume you are talking about the stereo cycle. Have you listened to his earlier recordings of these works?

1 Like

Just seen an email which arrived from Chandos Records yesterday. The downloads shop is closing on 25th. October. They quote the use of streaming services and resultant lack of sales now making it unprofitable. You will still be able to order physical CDs. A sign of things to come? I must admit, by far the majority of listening on my main system is via Qobuz. These days with native Qobuz on the Naim App and the 2nd. Generation steamers, the quality is so good and in some ways fuss free. Purchases are mainly classical CDs from charity shops.

3 Likes

I stopped buying digital media ages ago, in favor of streaming. The only physical media I buy is vinyl LPs, and I buy quite a bit of it.

1 Like

I got that email, too. I’ve bought downloads from The Classical Shop in the past and not just the Chandos label. It’s straightforward and the metadata is usually good unlike some sources of downloads. I’ll be sad to see it go.

I do stream from Qobuz as well, but find that has some limitations, particularly for vocal music where I want the words and translations. Also, I assuage my concern about how little musicians get for streaming by buying downloads of albums I listen to more than a few times. That’ll be a little more awkward in the future I guess.

Roger

1 Like

Ditto!

1 Like

i find the booklet PDFs available on qobuz for most classical releases very helpful they tend to have words and translations just like the CDs.

2 Likes

Over the last couple of years I’ve been hunting for a favorite performance of Schumann’s and Brahms’ symphonies. I haven’t found ‘my’ Brahms yet, but this Schumann cycle, Gardiner’s first, I find superb and gripping from start to finish. It includes several rarities and two versions of the 4th and therefore spans three discs, but it can be found dirt cheap as second hand.

Cheers
EJ

2 Likes

May I suggest Barenboim/Berlin S. for Schumann and Dohnanyi/Cleveland for Brahms…

Yes, but that’s not current available through the Naim app. Roll on Qobuz Connect (if it ever comes!)

Roger

Yes I think I listened to the stereo recording from the sixties. In the past I’ve listened to the mono recordings too, they were from the fourties’ I believe and I seem to recall that it sounded more on distant.