The classical music thread

And that is precisely why I think it’s worth discussing…
:slightly_smiling_face:

And anyway, present day’s mainstream ‘classical’ should meet your requirements pretty well…
:slight_smile:

Max,

Sounds corny but, I like a good tune. Something to catch on to, and which sounds non aggressive. It may be a theme, that meanders, disappears, reappears. Whatever. But there must be something to catch hold on to that plucks my emotions.

Most atonalism IMHO is just noise. And aggressive noise at that.

Rather easy to stay away considering atonal compositions were basically only published over a 40-60 year period. Do the math – we have over 1000 years of Western Classical Music preserved, atonality, or composition with a lack of tonal/key center, represents a small fraction of Classical music. Can anyone name more than 25 composers using atonal, serial, or aleatoric techniques? It wasn’t even very popular in the mid 20th century. Are there any living composers writing atonal music? Probably someone somewhere, but I can’t think of one. Folks might not understand the style of today’s composers, but that doesn’t mean they’re using atonal techniques.

Like every “so-called” category, there are masterworks of atonal music. Seek out the best from Berg, Stravinsky, Copland, Schoenberg, Debussy, Liszt, Varese, Bartok, Cage, etc. They all wrote some great music that lack a key or tonal center. Needless to say, not ALL their music was atonal. One could argue that sections of Beethoven’s late string quartets lack a tonal center, but no one complains about him! :wink:

Most music from the second half of the 19th century gives me a headache. Easy to avoid and, of course, there are exceptions, just like every genre of music…

Noise. Well chosen word. One of the leading books about the last century:

Recommended!

2 Likes

Would Schoenberg’s piano concerto apply? No matter how many times I’ve listened to it, or try to listen to it, to me it just feels like an elaborate joke on the listener, and on the performer if he/she isn’t in on it.

Most ‘atonal’ new classical music may not be strictly speaking atonal, but when I hear the first loud screech of a violin or a drum followed by a random sequence of notes on triangle or flute, I’m done. No Avo, Birtwhistle or Rihm for me. I draw the line at Ligeti.

Cheers
EJ

3 Likes

I’m with you, EJS.

This sort of music actually annoys me. I don’t know why. It just does.

1 Like

I believe tha a huge misunderstanding floats about what the term Atonal actually means. I’ll wait until opinions are made clear on an average basis, then will give my two cents.
M.

Why bother? If you don’t like it, move on. There’s a philosophy that repeated listening is the only way to enjoy a composition. I think that’s BS! If I don’t like a painting, a poem, a film, or a book, why would I spend more time with it?

Life’s too short and the music world is too vast. I say move on! Why torture yourself? If I want to torture myself I’ll throw on an Elgar symphony, for others it’s Schoenberg’s Piano Concerto. :wink:

1 Like

Both are pretty grim…

:laughing:

1 Like

It doesn’t really matter though does it.

Some pieces of music are deemed atonal (it doesn’t matter what you or I think that term means). But if I don’t like that music, I can comment that I don’t like that type of music for the reasons I previously mentioned.

A beautiful album.

4 Likes

By all means discuss atonal composition or its absence - but maybe in a new thread?

1 Like

I admire and love concision, but rarely manage it - why use one word when eleven will do the job just as well?

Wise words! Although I rather like Elgar #1 in Sinopoli’s recording!

I am not very fond of Elgar but I do make an exception for the 1st symphony. The poignancy of that melody and then its return at the end of the symphony gets me every time.

1 Like

Insight might grow into understanding and understanding into admiration! Although admiration seldoms turns to love, I have found. So Ligeti’s violin concerto, which I admire and like to listen to on occassion, will never supplant Beethoven’s op. 61 for me.

1 Like

I agree, totally. Opus 61 is still the greatest of all violin Concertos to me. As for the rest, we all can live a perfect life without discussing atonality. You’re very right about insight-understanding-admiration-love, in my opinion.
Have a good day.
M.

Ok EJS, you piqued my interest. I’m ( bravely for me ) going to try and give the Ligeti a listen :open_mouth:

Wish me luck… :laughing:

Excellent! Try Kopatchinskaja (whom I saw live in this work) or, my favorite, Zimmermann.

Cheers
EJ

1 Like