The classical music thread

Along with Rachel Poger’s, this is my favourite interpretation of the Rosary sonatas.

I am lucky enough to have been able to download it in HiRes before Qobuz withdrew it from sale.

There are a lot things connected with Russia from history which are abhorrent to a lot of countries and people. But it must be said if there is anything which is actually positively good emanating from Russia that is Classical music where their contribution is quite considerable. If we can’t see the good in the darkest places then there is no hope or positive left for this world on earth.

4 Likes

Dreamed up in the board room? I don’t really get it this one:

It’s not as if our own history is squeeky clean, nor any countries - difficult to know what to think or do at times…

Cheers
EJ

4 Likes

Todays find:

It has a nice organ transcription of Ma Vlast.

Discovering all kinds of wonderful Sibelius on this LP set I’ve had for 40 years and keep going past. Pleased I kept it! Wonderful sound too.

11 Likes

Isn’t one of the charms of LPs is in the cover artwork. The CD jewel cases are just not the same due to their much smaller size.
I am sure we could list a lot more attributes on the forum.

4 Likes

An unconventional Beethoven. A Symphony 3 played by a small ensemble.

Its a bit odd, period instruments suggest an ‘authentic’ performance but the orchestre is really small which results in a very transparent performance in which the individual instruments are very audible.

I like it for the reason that it shows the genius of Beethoven: do always something new, invent, invent, invent.

3 Likes

I know this topic has been raised before, but I really do despair of the music industry regarding pricing for downloads. Presto Classical offers the 4 CD set for £19.50. The HiRes 24/96 FLAC is £36.07! Qobuz is charging £36.09 for the 24/96 download. Rip off? Is it worth almost double to get a higher resolution version? I am looking forward to getting this set as it’s had a good review in the latest Gramophone magazine, but I’m not sure whether to now get the CDs; I would normally buy the 24/96 download.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiOTMxMDA0NC4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MzAwfSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE2NDczNjAxMzd9

In my opinion no, it is not worth it. I ordered the CDs.

1 Like

I think they got the price elasticity thing wrong, or maybe there are too many audiophiles who like to be ripped off?

2 Likes

A crystal clear case of audiophile price gouging. The only incremental cost to them of recording in HiRes is at the recording process and will be marginal. 80% price hike is transparently cynical. IME it likely won’t sound meaningfully better than CD quality either.

2 Likes

I buy the majority of my digital classical music on CDs from charity shops. I regularly find recordings on Decca, Philips, DG, Hyperion etc. and they sound great. At sometimes very low prices, £1.99, 99p or sometimes even 3 for £1. Occasionally these can be fairly recent releases also. I have given up on downloads (24/96 or CD quality) until the space runs out!

1 Like

A true gem for this afternoon. Flute solo.

The more I listen to my set of complete Britten operas I wonder if they would be better known internationally if he had written less. Never a dud. Are we spoilt for choice?

2 Likes

The best price is on prostudiomasters I got it from there…

Thanks BertBird - their price is certainly very competitive. I haven’t used them before, so I will bookmark their site for the future. Thanks again!

Yes it is always good to review what the actual price is. My experience is as follows…

• Qobuz is quite often the cheapest as I also have sublime, so getting an additional discount. Sometimes watch when the nitrate is going up to 192 and at once the price is much higher.
  • Sometimes on introduction classical can be cheaper. Compounded with the dollar versus euro impact. Yesterday the Stravinsky album of Rattle was cheaper there.
  • Sometimes with multialbums or special discount actions prostudiomasters is cheaper. Especially the more music you find on one title, the more prostudiomasters comes into it’s right.

And then yesterday I had a special example. Qobuz offered the album of Rachel Podger at 17 euros something for 192 and native DSD offered it at 21 euros something for 352.8, so easy choice to go for the higher rate one…

Thanks for your further comments; yes prices do fluctuate. After my original post on the pricing for this Sibelius, the price on Qobuz for the 24/96 flac reduced by 19%. Still too expensive but better than before. I shall certainly monitor prostudiomasters in future.

1 Like