The classical music thread

Peter Grimes is wonderful! I must admit to coming to Britten once there were other singers than Peter Pears. This is probably heresy. I know the Crabbe poem and shall try Turn of the Screw sometime as I know the underlying story, I see that Grimes is being performed currently in Baveria. Perhaps Britten was seen as too British and too gloomy and dated? Any suggestions for those of us new to Britten?

If you want your Britten opera Pears free try Gloriana (Mackerras). A stunning example of the Britten genius (not a word I use lightly). The orchestration is a constant marvel.

3 Likes

Thank you. Entirely new to me.

Most enjoyable I would say is probably Midsummer Night’s Dream, though the middle sections can drag a bit. Perhaps Shakespeare’s fault in part. (He said from behind a chair!) But the fairy music and the final act in particular, with its satirical take on Italian Opera, is spine tingling in places.

But my favourite is Turn of the Screw. It has all the creepiness and suppressed malice of James’ original and I find it truly compelling. It uses a very small orchestra which comes across particularly well in a small theatre and suits recording. I particularly enjoy the version on Virgin Classics conducted by Daniel Harding. It has the inestimable Ian Bostridge in the Peter Quint role written for Pears.

Roger

3 Likes

Thanks for suggesting this Roger. Turn of the Screw is I’d say the most sophisticated ghost story. Ian Bostridge was my introduction to Winterreisse and other songs in English and German. I’m sure I’ll enjoy him singing Britten. Derek

Hi all, I’m looking for recommendations for modern 21st century classical music. What contemporary classical composers & pieces should I be listening to?

I have some Thomas Ades & John Adams in my collection and am aware of the reputation of Sofia Gubaidulina (but don’t really know where to start!).

Thanks.

Hi @PaulD. I find the recent music of Caroline Shaw is often arresting and challenging, but not incomprehensible. The vocal piece Partita for 8 voices:

A1YsKFfWmQL.SS500

and the album Orange:

would be good places to start.

Roger

3 Likes

Scottish National Orchestra, cond. Alexander Gibson - ‘Music Of The Four Countries’ (1968).
I bought this vinyl album in my local Oxfam shop recently. Traditional light orchestral music from the four corners of the UK. The piece by Hamish MacCunn was the theme to the BBC TV series ‘Sutherland’s Law’ (1973-76) which starred Iain Cuthbertson!

Thanks Roger. I do recall this from a few years ago and will dig it out again.

This set of CDs finally arrived. Absolutely sensational in all regards. This will surely be everyone’s orchestral record of the year. I suggest a purchase while there is stock!

5 Likes

I have seen his face popping up a lot lately. Well, Makela is going to make a Chicago debut this week with Stravisky’s Firebird with CSO. Curious to hear how he does.

1 Like

I see that Presto classical says this Mäkelä set is out of stock at the UK distributor. But they have CD quality and 24/96 hires downloads. The excerpts on the Presto website sound lovely so I am probably going to succumb….

1 Like

Czech Philharmonic Orchestra cond. Jiri Belohlavek - ‘Martinu, Janacek and Suk’ (1990). I bought this at a charity shop a while back and gave it it’s first play this week. Great versions of ‘Sinfonietta’ (still makes me think of ‘Crown Court’, those of a certain age will know what I’m on about) and the Martinu Symphony. I heard the Symphony on its last outing at the BBC Proms (2010), in the Gallery unusually. A work new to me here was the piece by Suk. I must investigate more of his works. Also tempted by that new Sibelius set.

2 Likes

Well, I’ve now worked my way through the Mäkelä Sibelius set during Covid 19 isolation. I found it an astonishingly assured debut set and a most enjoyable listen, but without quite challenging any of my favourite performances.

I started with No2 and this was an out-and-out excellent reading. The conductor favours a fairly rich sound which suits this symphony well, but perhaps a little less so with 3 and 6, which are favourites of mine. I enjoyed both but wonder if a lighter touch and a bit more forward momentum in 6 would pay off. No 4 was another fine performance. Not as bleak as some readings but I can imagine this would appeal widely. No 7 was also enjoyable, but my biggest disappointments were 1 and, above all, 5. I have heard the latter more than any other in concert and always, towards the end of the finale, found myself perched on the edge of my seat. But I was curiously unmoved in this reading.

Preparing and recording this set in Covid isolation must have been very challenging and I would love to hear them live after they’ve gained a bit more experience performing in front of an audience. Definitely a conductor to look out for.

Roger

1 Like

I also have the set, however the established critic Hurwitz is quite unhappy with it. I thought I link in his views as many have recommended the set on this forum….

Interesting view from Hurwitz, as always. This time I find him way off the mark, essentially saying as Mäkelä is young he can’t be good (quite a few precedents in the classical world to the contrary), and as a string player he therefore features the strings. Yes they are present and extremely well-rehearsed and captured but so is the wind and the glorious brass. I call sensationalism for the sake of it. Have a listen and judge for yourself. I continue to believe this set is an extraordinary achievement.

4 Likes

I think Hurwitz made very good points. He explained in detail why he thought the musical interpretations were lousy. His comment about the age of the conductor, and what instrument he plays, was to indicate that the reason for the lousy interpretations was possibly due to his inexperience and his overly preference for strings. A valid point.

He also mentioned positive things about the performances.

Of course, Hurwitz indicates his personal opinion of things and you may or may not agree with him. But he simply says it as he see (or rather hears) it.

And he’s not alone…

Sibelius: The Symphonies and Tapiola review – Mäkelä veers between the outstanding and prosaic | Jean Sibelius | The Guardian

This sense of lack of cohesion and connection seems to be a common feeling to both reviewers.

Another fine recording from this rather exceptional choir!
(In case he hasn’t seen this — @JosquinDesPrez)

6 Likes

I don’t know this particular recording, but there is plenty of good Josquin to listen to. I have a pretty decent collection on vinyl that I mostly acquired in the 80s when I was a musicology student.

I’ll look it up on Qobuz and give it a spin. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please share your view with us — as the JDP authority in the Forum! :slight_smile:

I am not most familiar with Joaquin Des Prez, I have to confess. But I rather like Stile Antico; one of their sopranos was singing in our church choir for many years. Fantastic voices in my view, even though most come from “the other place” if I am not mistaken… I am Dark Blue. :wink:

1 Like