The Cricket Thread

2 tests start today. I have NZ v England on in the background and looking forward to the day/night test (Aus v Pak) starting in Adelaide this afternoon.

A rain stoppage with lots of discussion about early starts for the next four days …
A small controversy over Taylor’s not out … I’ve not seen it just heard TMS. Can anyone shed some light on what happened? Did the DRS official just not compare side by side the hot spot and snicker?

Another mediocre day for England, or rather well done NZ. No spinner picked and Stokes has a knee issue. Not the first time and I wonder if he will ever be a 90mph bowling all rounder again.

Anyway Eng will probably only have to bowl once in this game…

Australia flayed Pakistan I see. Sooooo happy for Warner.

You’re going to be even happier, Warner Just reached his 200, Labuschagne 162 just got out. Score 2-373.

We don’t seem to know how to bowl a team out or how to build an innings in test match cricket. Yes New Zealand has more experience and very good players, but we seem to lack confidence. I do feel a change of captain might be in order, but not sure who could take the reins.

1 Like

Think it’s time you replaced Root as captain. Just don’t think he’s up to it.

Warner not out on 335, second highest score by an Aus. Australia declare 3-589.

2 Likes

Great knock by Warner & it truly was.

However let’s face it, if there was any sort of pressure with other opening batsmen in scintillating form and that associated selection pressure he wouldn’t be playing now after that total and utter disaster recent Ashes series. Players have never played again for Australia for less in the past.

1 Like

True, but I think he would be first choice anyway.

Impossible not to respect such a high score, not least as an effort of concentration and fitness.

I think he deserved selection in his home series. Flat pitches and Kookaburra ball etc. Broad is not bowling…

I have issues with him as a personality. I note Stokes says he contributed significantly to his amazing innings at Headingley because he was so being so chirpy and annoying. Plus ca change. I think Warner still represents to me some of the old attitudes and behaviours that the team has otherwise moved away from.

Bruce

1 Like

Is it time to talk about Warner in the same tone as Lara and Tendulker?

Think that might cause a few sharp responses :scream:.

2 Likes

No is my answer to this - DW is a very good cricketer but he’s not in their bracket when it comes to the longer forms of the game, and he hasn’t ‘carried’ a team like they often did (e.g. Lara in WI against Aussies) - I like his pugnacious attitude but with it has come some issues which aren’t worthy of repeating.

2 Likes

I think it’s too early to tell. But from a distance he does not have the necessary gravitas.

1 Like

Ooh Matron

I’m a bit frustrated with Pope and the skip throwing away their wickets when the lower orders did not contribute much. No need to lash out just get those singles and punish the bad ball.

What is it with Yorkshire cricketers and run outs …?

Agree - our tail is that of a Manx cat.

1 Like

I didn’t know the Pope played cricket?

2 Likes

Well that’s Pakistan done and dusted, now it’s time to deal with those pesky Kiwis. First test (day/night) starts this Friday.

2 Likes

TM – now we can add can’t catch to the list of this England team’s attributes. No spoilers :frowning_face:

The only thing this short tour has achieved is to act as NZ’s warm-up for their imminent games against the Aussies.

2 Likes