The Cricket Thread

It was a poor attempt. :scream:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::shushing_face::flushed:

1 Like

Yes indeed
Felt sorry for Joe Denly as it’ll be replayed over and over.
Pope is not the greatest keeper either.

New Zealand thoroughly deserved its series win.
So congratulation to the Kiwis.
It should be a great series against the Aussies.

Hopefully Anderson and Wood should be fit for our tour of South Africa
Jonny Bairstow or Ben Foakes as keeper batsman
Pope should be in too, but on,y as a batsman, lose those gloves, please.

1 Like

RIP Bob Willis.
Who can forget him storming in against the old enemy, or hearing him question the wisdom of a particular tactic or decision on Sky?
A master of his art, be it on the field or in the studio.

6 Likes

Just read the article online, he was the only 70. Who will forget (although I do try) his 8/43 against the Aussies. RIP

3 Likes

I don’t understand how two tests can be regarded as a series. Bring back the five format.

3 Likes

Yes, its dumb. 3 should be the minimum imo.

3 Likes

Very sad Bob Willis.

To be still known today as a legendary fast bowler when West Indies as well a Thompson and Lillee were dominating at the same time is exceptional.

Could dominate and utterly terrify batsman all over the world as well as anyone.

4 Likes

RIP Bob Willis…

He is a bowler who i saw on TV - i mean the generation is mine…

Unlike many greats whom i never got to see on TV or live cricket…

Long runup - fast bowling…curly hair…

Surely a great bowler…

RIP…

4 Likes

RIP Bob Willis - one of the game’s characters and straight shooters when it came to evaluating things. This vid covers the 8-43 but also watch 4-20 onwards, an event which has stuck in my mind ever since…shock horror that the 1981 team could catch well too, especially Mike Gatting and his ‘thought it was a pork pie’ catch diving forward. Great memories, with the great Richie Benaud letting the pictures do the talking.

4 Likes

An iconic style that my generation of teenagers all tried to impersonate by running in on that long arc with the ball held almost by your side but he was the real deal and an stalwart of his era in English cricket.

RIP

Bruce

2 Likes

RIP Bob

It was often referred to as Botham’s Ashes, but Sir Ian was always first to acknowledge it was Willis’s Ashes as much as it was his.

We need a Bob Willis in out present test team, but there was only one.

1 Like

Are we getting too soft?

1 Like

Can anyone explain what’s going on with South Africa Cricket?
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=27&ved=2ahUKEwiBrIXN66PmAhUOQxUIHWPpByIQFjAaegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fsport%2F2019%2Fdec%2F06%2Fsouth-africa-cricket-crisis-deepens-chief-executive-thabang-moroe-suspended&usg=AOvVaw04jn-JQCNhrlji-UwLPHlK

Its a long story & a knowledge of SA cricket politics & corruption is needed.
Cricket in South Africa (CSA) CEO Thabang Moroe has been suspended & although not suspended it seems the president Chris Nenzani has his fingers in the mix. Some sponsors plus some of the provincial cricket boards have asked for the whole CSA board to resign.
CSA & cricket generally in SA is in deep trouble financially especially & also operationally after Moroe and Nenzani captured control & used it as their own personal fiefdom for the last two years.
The long story cut very very short is that as a result of a whole series of mismanagement issues with implications of corruption, sponsors including the main sponsor Standard Bank are either pulling out or indicated they intend to do so.
Subplots include infringements of players commercial rights & their has been talk of industrial action, although I hear this morning that the players organisation has indicated this will not happen for the England tour.

1 Like

Thanks that fleshes things out a bit.
I knew from my short experience of working in the Eastern Cape that corruption was virtually endemic, but I thought the Scorpions were getting it sorted. Perhaps there is a limit to what they can achieve when the prevailing view was ‘its my turn to benefit’ from the system, and that there were few, if any, ethical role models.

Looks like you’ve guessed the other unmentionable … cricket management from the ‘old days’ were good role models. 'nuff said

1 Like

It looks like the Boxing Day test against New Zealand is at risk of cancellation due to the unpredictable bounce from multiple divets in the pitch. This is sad as I think it would have been the first time New Zealand has played in this marquee event. New Zealand is doing well with it’s test form currently, but apart from the 1985/86 series that we won against Australia in Australia, we seem to choke with the screaming yibyabs whenever we play Anzac cousins. Please god that we show some metal this time.

2 Likes

It will be disappointing, and the last thing test cricket needs. I’ve got friends who’ve paid for tickets, flights and accommodation and I can’t imagine they’ll be too impressed. Hopefully they can get it sorted before then.

Looking forward to the day/night test this Thursday. It’s going to be a late night in your neck of the woods.

1 Like

Not being able to prepare a suitable test pitch is a pretty poor situation! Is this about drop-in pitches and multi-use stadia or just incompetence?

I am looking forward to seeing how NZ go against Australia as it could be a decent contest.

Bruce

2 Likes