The Cricket Thread

With Christmas behind us it’s now time for the Boxing Day test(s). Aus v NZ about to get underway in Melbourne and later today S.A. v ENG in South Africa. Best of luck to all teams.

4 Likes

Good start for the Kiwis!

1 Like

Good start by Jimmy Anderson and Sam Curran, but South Africa getting in to their stride now with Hamza. England bowling could be better, but after ‘flu hit the squad surprised to see it is almost our strongest side.

2 Likes

Have you got a plan to get Steve Smith out?
Notice he is still there looking ominous.

1 Like

Flicking between the Big Bash and the SA/ENG game, why are England wearing black armbands

Death of Bob Willis just before Christmas

2 Likes

Would have thought SA would have as well

No, we’ve had our hour of glory.

2 Likes

We found the answer.
Steve S seems to tire when he gets over 200 and leaves one he should play.

1 Like

Fairly even D1 against SA but I suspect SA happier.

I found the toss decision a bit odd with so many bowers recovering from illness or long layoffs and a pitch that apparently did not scream ‘bowl first’. It has certainly has been tough to bat on last in recent times too

As ever the proof will be how we bat on it. Might be a good day to follow tomorrow.

I drive back home from my parents for 6 hrs through cold, wind and rain basted by the 35deg heat coming through the radio!

Bruce

3 Likes

Yep they sure do, same as England, short and at him. Difference here is it’ll work better because of our harder pitches that produce faster inconsistent bouncers.

Watched the highlights in the early hours of the morning; impressed by de Kock again, and amazed that Anderson continues to bowl so well. Less impressed this morning with the variable bounce in the pitch later this morning.

Wow, two consecutive beamers from Archer. Two failed knuckle balls in a row, not malicious, but a 140kph Beamer at the night-watchman’s head could have been very nasty.

3 Likes

Very lucky that there was no injury to the batsman. Archer was very lucky to stay on. I was appalled :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth: not just by Archer’s bowling but by the Sky commentator who seemed to query what the fuss was.

1 Like

No such carrying on in the Aus v NZ game. Played it good spirit though it’s a pity the Kiwis aren’t in better form.

It looks like they want to go home…

This entire England performance has been pretty sketchy. As predicted the wicket was deteriorating on on Day 2. Bowling first the strangest decision.

SA take 6 wickets caught behind and 2 bowled. Philander bowls at 75mph and pitches a good full length and lets his craft and the slightly tricky pitch do the rest.

We finish the day bowling bouncers with a loaded leg side field. Inexplicable to me, and both are captaincy/leadership issues for me. Archer needs to be used more intelligently than just trying to knock people out.

Butler is ill now too and unable to take the field today. None of that is helping either for sure.

Bruce

1 Like

It’s a real pity we are not more competitive against Australia. I had just subscribed to sky sports 3 days ago to watch the cricket and frankly cannot bear to watch it now. It least the tennis is coming up.

1 Like

I’m enjoying it :grin:

1 Like

Buttler and Root both off the field ill, but South Africa well in control.
Sneaky having a nightwatchman, Nortje, who seems more than comfortable at the crease as he shares in a 50+ partnership with the impressive vd Dussen.

1 Like