The Doors

Once the line up was established, they played a lot on and off The Strip. That of itself would have developed their unique sound, and Jim’s voice…

Yeah, in 1965 they were (with that line up) quite poppy and of the times…but the songs were ahead of the sound (Jim’s ‘concert in his head’).
Bruce and Paul certainly spiffed up that sound for the first album, then then band hearing Sgt Pepper during SD made them up their game, according to John…

Great though to hear Jim so young!

I checked on my AL UK first press: no info given on the cover about the city concerts they used tapes from.
I suppose to enhance the intention to present an ‘ideal’ single concert experience.

You’re right, my memory’s obviously playing tricks on me.

Incidentally, the worst thing about that back cover is the ‘health warning’ to be found in the ominous word ‘Vocals’ after Ray Manzarek’s name. The man couldn’t sing to save his life, as became only too apparent on ‘Other Voices’ and ‘Full Circle’, recorded after Jimbo’s sad demise.

I may have asked this before (although I can’t find it), so apologies if I have.

Has anyone heard the ‘stripped back’ version of ‘The Soft Parade’? It will be fascinating to hear the record without all that (unnecessary) brass.

I have it on order from the USA, so it may be waiting for me at home. I hope so.

Yes. It’s interesting. But odd to hear without the arrangements, and guitar added in places to cover the gap. Some tracks work, some less so…

I recall that Jim sounds wonderful on Wishful Sinful but I think he always did.

Ray’s vocal is not great, but on some songs (his own, not The Doors) he doesn’t sound bad - his Solar Boat for example…but, no, he wasn’t a patch on Jim, ever.

‘Wishful Sinful’ was absolutely drenched in brass, so I’m very much looking forward to hearing it without.

I think that the only track on the album where the brass added anything useful was the instrumental break on ‘Touch Me’. I wonder how (if at all) they have filled that gap.

Is anyone credited as producer of this new ‘stripped’ version?

You’re thinking of Tell All The Peoplethat was brassy.
Wishful was more strings and woodwind.

I stand corrected, thanks. I look forward to hearing it ‘unbrassed’!

As impressive as Morrison? Michael Hutchence.

In looks and bearing maybe…He did seem influenced. Didn’t really listen to much of what he said/wrote/sang to make a judgement on how impressive he was otherwise.

I don’t really rate Morrison for creative output. I’m not a huge fans of the Doors’ music at all. I’ll recognize his performance skills, charisma and style, however. In this regard, Hutchence was every bit as good. Disclaimer: I grew up in Australia and had the privilege of seeing a “pre-fame” INXS in small pubs.

2 Likes

I always viewed Hutchence as a kind of watered down wanna be rock star, Jim and the Doors on the other hand were there real deal, miles ahead in terms of creative output.

Michael Hutchence got nowhere near Jim Morrison in terms of creativity or output.

He’s best known for dating Paula Yates and for his bizarre death by auto-asphyxiation tied to a hotel door by a leather belt and with an orange in his mouth.

But each to their own.

Apart from a vague visual similarity, they were chalk and cheese.

Quite like the odd INXS track - some very good songs in fact.

I’d pick The Doors any day.

I no longer listen to either, so I’ll bow out of this discussion.

All opinions are valid. I hate the thought of closing down debate, albeit inadvertently - keep it going!

Funnily enough, your post reminded me of a recent vid of INXS that was included as part of the ‘Oz for Africa’ Live Aid inclusion. I thought their performance of ‘Don’t Change’ was superb. Hutch on great form.

1 Like

Why do you no longer listen to INXS? Sorry, I couldn’t remember the band name in my first post.
I would bet seeing them in their early days in small clubs/bars was pretty good! Bit like seeing The Doors in their early days too, I’d imagine…not that I really know any INXS music tbh.

I guess the same could be said of many bands. Lot of power in a small club, and more intimate (I’ve never been a fan of huge amphitheatre/stadium or festival gigs. Give me a small place anyday.)

So I probably ought not to brag about seeing Jeff Buckley six times, mostly in small-ish venues such as The Garage in London (Islington), although the Junction Club in Cambridge is quite a bit bigger, and I last saw him in London’s Royal Festival Hall as part of the Meltdown Festival curated by Elvis Costello.

Yeah, probably best not to! :laughing:

I remember The Garage venue as the The Town and Country Club 2. Never went when it reopened in the 90s as The Garage. I must try it out.