The End of DSLR's

All great cameras!

4 Likes

I moved from a 5D III to an R5.

I’m not going back.

I don’t know anyone ( I help run a photo club with over 70 members ) that has a DSLR that doesn’t dream of moving to a mirrorless camera.

All of the film shooters do it for the nostalgia and the love of the process.

1 Like

Ok… Which AF lens is that on your D800…??

I had a 35mm/F2 AF - which I sold to ‘fund’ my D7000… :thinking:

1 Like

Apart of photography - it depends on what and where the photographer is photographing!

Macro could be an exception, I guess… Assuming the subject is static… Other wise not…!

It’s just a 50mm 1.4 AFD, Ian, but one of my favourite Nikon lenses.

3 Likes

Lols. Nice… I gave up on 50mm lenses… many years ago…!!

I try to avoid overlapping or duplicating focal lengths.
Please forgive my 85mm/1.4 AF-D… :astonished:

1 Like

The 50mm 1.4 is great in low light and I don’t always fancy carrying around the slightly bigger 24-70mm f2.8.

2 Likes

:astonished: Slightly bigger…? The Nikon 24-70/2.8 is huge…!!!

1 Like

Nah…thats not huge. The 70-200/f2.8 on the other hand is massive compared to the minute 50/1.4. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Err, yes… My 70-300/4.5-5.6 is a minnow by comparison…!!

1 Like

Long time Minolta SLR user here. Then into Nikon for dSLR stuff. D300s, then D700 finally D750. Always spending the real money on the glass. D750 was ok, but had 3 or even 4 free shutters. Sold to MPB with its 4th brand new shutter.

Now gone the mirrorless route with a Fuji xt4. And of course a handfull of Fuji’s best glass.
By far the best camera or glass i have owned. I never even think about the EVF when i look through it. As far as im concerned its better than the dSLR.
I dont miss the Nikon one bit ( the D700 was my favourite body).

2 Likes

I agree I enjoyed my D800 for several years… it was its low light performance which was a bit meh.
However I am a bit biased as I have been a Nikon user since my F60 in late 1998 (which I still have)

1 Like

So, hypothetically speaking, if one had, say, a Canon 7D with a half dozen L series lenses, and, hypothetically, wanted to go full frame with a sufficient but not OTT budget, would one go 5D4 or R6?

Asking for a friend………

I do agree, eye focus really does make a difference… though I can get bum steers with subjects wearing glasses in a very shallow depth of field… I suspect more to do with user error than deficiency of the equipment.

I still have one, with 28mm and 50mm Yashica lenses.

Bought a battery for it a couple of months ago and it works fine. Although the leatherette cover needs replacing.

8 Likes

I bet that 28mm f2.8 prime made some great images … did it have that very subtle vignetting effect when wide open that many older lenses did in a wonderful way, helping to draw your eye more to the centre of the image?

Great summary and I’m with you. I recently got a Z-6ii and I’m so impressed! It’s got me shooting again. Also you pointed out, hell the kit lens is sharper/better IC than most of my big heavy lenses. This surprised me to be honest. I have an adapter but I think I’m going to slowly replace all my lenses for mirrorless ones.

1 Like

I can’t say I noticed any vignetting, although I doubt I would have used it wide open.

Yes, although I will stick with my SLR style 70-200 f/2.8 VR and my 300 f/4 telephoto as well my 50mm f/1.4…

I have got myself a z super zoom for travel… it’s a very compact z 24 - 200 f/4 to 6.3. Now usually such lenses are too much of a compromise, but this z lens works surprisingly well, with massive reach for a compact size… and good in lens VR for the mid to low speed performance… it’s certainly massively smaller and lighter than my 70 to 200 f/2.8

Been taking some agricultural stock imaging with it of harvests etc… currently going through QC with the agency, but they look good to me with reasonably good colours, clarity and dynamics… albeit none of the images are too technically challenging with light.

1 Like