The fate of the NAC-N 272. Still keeps me awake at night

That’s very interesting and as someone who only wants a newer/better preamp makes me wonder what the 272 could be like without the streamer section!

1 Like

it might sound something between a 202 and 282 :rofl:

2 Likes

I have to say I am sitting on the fence whether I agree or not. I absolutely see the advantage of a digital/analogue pre-amp, totally, 100%.

But, at least having the network bridge separate stops the product going obsolete so quickly as platforms/media change. Hypothetically what happens if Roon 2.0 becomes incompatible with current Roon endpoints or a new streaming platform comes along that needs a slightly different hardware architecture?

I have a supernait 1, which arguably is a very relevant product still. Add an Roon endpoint - perfect and no hardware redundancy. Same could be said for a 282/250/nDac.

But as per my previous post - the speed the 272 and NDS became obsolete and value plummet its astounding.

I want to update my amp & streaming source at the end of the year and will be treading very cautiously.

obsolete implies they don’t work anymore

but they do.

1 Like

obsolete: no longer produced or used; out of date.

they still work fine. just add an inexpensive roon endpoint to the digital inputs of a 272 or NDS…

if ever there’s going to be a roon 2.0

1 Like

My 272 is used virtually everyday and there is nothing wrong with it, it is wonderful pre amp with a good dac. You guys just want something new so you can stream from the ever increasing number of services available. That’s the truth, you want Roon etc etc. I get that but it still is a very good pre amp.

Theres a few of us old timers who just stream their own music, used in this way I see now need to upgrade just to get more connectivity. If I want to up date the streamer or dac I’d probably consider the ND5 XS2 or something similar.

1 Like

Anyone use an external streamer into the 272 digital side using the 272 as a DAC and pre amp with improved quality or mainly for better support? I’ve seen some using Bluesound node into naim products.

There’s also those of us who haven’t enjoyed one for five years, want one, but would not want to buy a discontinued model in an area that is so dependent on third-parties

1 Like

The XPS and 555PS provide + & - rails the FC, HC & SC don’t.

One interesting observation. Naim has a 272 discontinued and no replacement for it, and also the Ndac. Of course Naim can just leave these 2 product categories, or come up with a new dac a 372 or a premium dac with a preamp in the same box. This would solve the problem with fast evolving streaming technologies.

I have just noticed that Linn claim to be launching a new streaming product soon!
Announcement due 6th August apparently.
And…they claim that it will be exciting!

Just saying. :0)

It was a typo. They have bought the Flying Scotsman.

Ah well that would be the kiss of death for Linn if they did!
It seems to have finished a few past owners off

I’m a Naim DAC fan, and owner, but I’d be surprised if there was another stand-alone DAC (happy to be proved wrong though) - Naim’s streamers are of course in themselves DACs. Have you noticed how number of DACs are recently being presented as “network connected DACs”. Can anyone tell the difference between a network connected DAC and a streamer?

Its a Skottish SuperKar!

Network connected DAC essentially has the network bridge built in to a DAC and connects to a network.

Most Naim streamers are network connected DAC’s.

Network Bridge: converts Ethernet to spdif (ALLO, meridian 210)
Streamer: Converts Ethernet to analogue - (Sonos)
Network Dac: converts Ethernet or spdif to analogue
DAC: converts spdif to analogue.

Obvs variations with USB, BT, AirPlay etc.

1 Like

I tried one such box, a borrowed Limetree Bridge (10x4x10cm) from Lindemann connected to the digital input. EUR 900.

If I remember correctly the supported streamingservices was Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer, HighresAudio and Spotify. Alot of other stuff including Roon.

The sound surprised me - it was actually very good. Clean and lively.

Yes, I tried the Bluesound Node 2i.
It was a major downgrade however I plugged it in.

The NDS and 272 were designed to play native Tidal.

“Even if the 272 would sound the same, but ‘just’ with the replacement of the streamer part, a lot of people would be happy.”

If the 272.2 sounds the same as the 272, but just has the new Naim streaming platform, a lot of people would be very disappointed.