The fate of the NAC-N 272. Still keeps me awake at night

If the fate of the NAC -N -272 keeps you awake, I recommend a long walk and a large glass of Laphroaigh followed by a cup of drinking chocolate made with milk

2 Likes

I don’t worry about the fate of my NAC-N 272, it’s working fine at the moment and I’m reasonably convinced that it will continue to do so for some considerable time.

If there ever comes a time to move it on I’m sure I can find suitable people who would be interested.

3 Likes

When I first read that, I thought you said Lambrini!!

:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I do have some perry scheduled to accompany some pork this weekend but it is definitely not Lambrini (sounds like Babycham)

But I think we are veering into Padded Cell territory

Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 12.59.37

I love my 272 but I’m certainly not going to lose any sleep over a replacement. Think the whole 272 thingy has got a little out of control. It’s a pre amp, if you’re ready to upgrade and not willing to wait to see if it’s replaced choose something else and move on. Best thing if you still love your 272 buy a stand alone dac from another party and keep it as a per amp. There’s lots of options.

4 Likes

Indeed. 2nd hand Nakamichi if it’s music the OP loves (and perhaps wants to digitise later). But beware of mechanical condition like head and roller wear.

Or else get someone to transfer it to digital as a service if you haven’t got many tapes.

I ended selling my MR-1 yesterday. I started asking around about getting it serviced on another forum, and someone made me a great offer on it. It was going to cost me about $500 for a full service from one of the best people doing it, and I would have had to wait 10 months before it even went on the bench. I have no use case for keeping it so off it went. It did sound remarkably good though, once it had warmed up for a few hours.

:disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved:

I’m sitting here listening to Roxy Music Live and wondering how on earth any 272 replacement could possibly sound any better? Having seen them live, defective memory or not, what I’m hearing through my system is as good as the concert (just not as painfully loud or uncomfortable).

Bliss.

3 Likes

These are on sale on the ‘Net if you want that authentic gig comfort experience. With social distancing you might need to elbow yourself in the ribs.

4 Likes

no ARO needed here. Would love to hear about a new ARO cable. That is what I am looking for.

Speaking as a would-be owner, it does not even have to be better. It just needs to be based on the new streaming platform to be future-proof. I’d buy it in a minute plus a PS. For 10.000 I just won’t buy an outdated and discontinued streamer/preamp, and am reluctant to go with a 4-box Naim solution (plus headphone plus phono stage, ergo 2 additional brawn levels and 3 new brains levels, ignoring the expense for the moment) if I can possibly avoid it.

2 Likes

In this digital age I’m not quite sure anything based upon computers could be described as ‘future proof’. There will always be something ‘better’ or more advanced just around the corner.

Nothing is future proof if it requires to communicate with the outside world, as sooner or later the requirements will exceed what is capable within the constraints of what is in the box. Rather the newer platform is young and has a period of software upgradeability ahead of it, much as did the previous platform in its early days.

If you non’t need communication with the outside world, e.g. just a player of files in a directly attached store, then that can last decades, until some catastrophic hardware failure.

Well maybe not for all eternity, but the original 272 had a very good run, and I’d be happy with a similarly long run for the new platform. Also, as long as the computer hardware is powerful enough, and the new platform seems to be, much can be done in software, or possibly upgrade-able boards. It’s really only about being able to go along with changes in upstream platforms like at Tidal or Quobuz.

1 Like

Agreed and I just have explained myself better in another reply right next to this one

Is it right that the 272 was only launched in 2015?

Does this mean the ND555 will be obsolete 5 years after launch?

One of the main points of the new platform’s greater power and functionality is that it should be more future proof, for example the ability to use Googlecast. The 272 cannot have Qobuz because its memory is insufficient.

It’s worth noting that the 272 is not ‘obsolete’ - it does what it’s always done perfectly well. It’s just that it cannot do any more.

@Richard.Dane

Serious? Is this a romantic vein? :wink:
By the way: did you have the opportunity to visit your parents here in the Algarve?
(hope everythings alright…)

Yes, a little tongue in cheek, I admit.

No, sadly have not been able to visit my Father in Portugal yet.

1 Like