The folk thread

MSimpson
Tip of the hat to @anon4489532 who posted this in ‘What are you listening to’ Martin Simpson generally performs at UK venues, including my local Artrix in Bromsgrove (which I hope may be open again in the future) [At the moment it’s a vaccination centre after the previous arts organisation had funding removed. There is a possibility of a new bid for performance here emerging.]

An excellent guitarist and singer-songwriter including Anglo-Celtic folk.
Available on Qobuz - though he usually sells his CDs at performances.

1 Like

It’s a lovely album, just a great guitar sound. I paid about £5 on Qobuz for it. From memory I believe you live too far from here to get to our concerts? I’ve met a few Forum members at our gigs and I know at least one is coming to our Eddi Reader show.

1 Like

I live in Worcestershire, so a bit of a stretch in October. Fairport in June 2022 looks tempting.
I see Martin Simpson and Cara Dillon are doing separate gigs at Huntingdon Hall Worcester which is just as well as my local performance venue is currently a Covid vaccination centre. Would be good to see your gigs in Hampshire some time though.

BBC Sounds has made available Peter Redgrove’s poetic take on the Padstow ‘Obby Oss’ which was first broadcast in 1998 with recordings from the archives. Words and music from one of the May Day festivals which marked the ritual year.https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ys82
obby oss

1 Like

Just a quick hello - I am thoroughly enjoying Folk East this year - although more Folk East Lite this time - because of Covid considerations so reduced stages and events - there have been some fantastic performances from the Young’uns, Afro Celt Sound System, Elephant Sessions… It’s the first time in 2 years that many of the performers have played to a live audience and their enthusiasm is palpable. More later as a rather sunny Sunday starts to unfold.

3 Likes

So end of the festival, and the motorhome returned… really fun and chilled with great music and dance - both amateur and professional all participating in the festival.
A collection of some of the musicians and bands I watched when I had the camera…

One of the many impromptu musicians

Daoiri Farrell

DSC_0321
Relatively local (Norfolk) Christina Alden and Alex Patterson (playing into a setting sun!)

DSC_0347
Three Cane Whale

DSC_0377
David Eagle of the Yong’uns.

DSC_0393
The Young’uns

N’Faly Kouyate of the Afro Celt Sound System

DSC_0497
Afro Celt Sound System

The hugely energetic Elephant Sessions (relegated to the iPhone camera as I was a bit worse for wear :slight_smile: )

8 Likes

81vmPgeFBiL.AC_UY436_QL65
61Md7+ttfEL.AC_UY436_QL65
two people/bands worth exploring and then one of my favourites from Finland
71-hIE4LGkL.AC_UY436_QL65

2 Likes

Thanks for the photo’s Simon! …it did look like a wonderful festival and I’m sure you had a great time…

You are welcome, yes it is a great festival, it has a great vibe, not too crowded, no too big queues, and friendly people. Back to full strength again hopefully next year.

1 Like

Following a recommendation earlier in the thread, ordered this second hand and have really enjoyed listening to it. Will be played again.

6 Likes

I’ll have to look out for that next year, sounds great. I caught the Hut People at Maui Waui last weekend for the first time. Loved them, never knew quite what was coming next.

1 Like

Just wanted to mention Jake Thackeray as worthy of inclusion in this thread…

3 Likes

Then, having discovered a pair of genuinely entertaining performers it is announced that they have gone their own ways, victims of the pandemic.
I found that they always conveyed sheer joy in their music, playing and performing. I don’t think I ever saw them where they had a break in the interval, Sam would share dance steps, Gary allowed you to play his instruments.
I for one will miss them.

Aww, shame. At least I caught them once

The Owl Service have a free taster track, ‘Wake the Vaulted Echo’ on Bandcamp with new album Swearing on the Horns set to drop on Oct 29th 2021. Described as ‘a collection of EPs and loose tracks’ You can also purchase a complete full digital discography of 21 Owl Service releases. A cult band.

3 Likes

I’d forgotten about him, Svetty. He was smart and clever in his prime. On the Today Programme and and Bernard Braden I recall. Some excellent performances on You Tube.

It’s worth looking out for Fake Thackray, under that name John Watterson does a show of Jake T covers, it’s as much fun as the original.

1 Like

Agree,saw him at Uttoxeter Acoustic Festival a few years ago,very good.

1 Like

I’m not sure if I should include this under folk, but I suppose bluegrass counts. Downloaded yesterday from Bandcamp.

2 Likes

If you are living near Oxford Playhouse or York Theatre Royal? Then can I give you a belated heads up about “The Ballad of Jonny Longstaff” a story told in songs, writtten and performed by the Young’Uns and Jack Rutter. It is the true history of one mans life from begging in Stockton to fighting in the Spanish Civil War and much else. A moving, poignant and often funny show. I saw it a couple of weeks ago, and am sure many members here will enjoy.

Check out the Theatres or the Young’Uns website for more info.

3 Likes