The folk thread

Who Ian?

Cara Dillon, bought several of her CDs but somehow they weren’t as good as the live performance

I confess I’ve listened mostly to Cara Dillon mostly on Gen 1 mu-so and not so far on my Atom Headphone edition. I think she records in her home studio, Charcoal Records is her own label. Perhaps your rig exposed the deficiencies? There is a lot of atmosphere in her live performances and it is challenging to translate that to a recording, I imagine.

Derek

1 Like

Sorry Ian, meant to have replied to you rather than thread!
Derek

1 Like

Yes, I just found her recordings, technically good but rather sterile ?

I guess I would rather pay to see her live.

Some artists are better in the studio and some better live.

1 Like

Folk Radio still going strong.
The Bird in the Belly
‘After the City’ is a take on Richard Jefferies novel ‘After London’

1 Like

Jon Boden has the Peter Bellamy bellow, which isn’t to all tastes, but the instrumental playing is accomplished. Bellowhead certainly create an exciting atmosphere live. I like this CD very much and respect to Boden for folksong a day and for keeping going.

2 Likes

Now this has made me think of Daphne’s flight’s ‘lay fallow’.

1 Like

Well I seem to have missed them at Shrewsbury as I’ve never heard them live or recorded. Christine Collister as a solo artist of course is familiar. Will have a listen. I see Christine is no longer touring and is replaced by Miranda Sykes.

1 Like

I came across this today and am enjoying some Scottish folk, strings and voice.

4 Likes

I had the pleasure of seeing Martin Simpson last night. He’s such a phenomenal guitarist and a fine singer and songwriter too. I was helping with the show so it was nice to meet and look after him.

3 Likes

I saw him (and The Daintees) many years ago in Leeds. He was absolutely p***ed, all over the place and quite obnoxious. I vowed never to send my custom his way again! Perhaps it was just a bad night.

On a more positive note Mrs W and I have been enjoying the two Spell Songs albums and also this folk/ambient anthology that I picked up from the end of year listings. Future Folk; Friendly Faces Different Spaces from the rather nicely named Slow Music Movement. It deserves to be heard in full but this clip has a flavour of the album.

and review here

Bruce

2 Likes

Thanks for the links Bruce.

As to Martin Stephenson (as opposed to Simpson) well they say you are as good as your last performance. And it sounds as if he’s had that with you.

aaah, wrong Martin! Apologies to Mr Simpson.

Bruce

Good job you mentioned the Daintees, Bruce.

Derek

1 Like

Altan, a set including Tommy Peoples’ from Local Ground 2005
localground300

3 Likes

Vashti Bunyan forthcoming autobiography.

3 Likes

Richard Thompson, Music from Grizzly Man released on Bandcamp.

I’ve seen several of Werner Herzog’s films, but not this 2005 documentary. Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard were killed by a bear. Herzog edited and incorporated Treadwell’s own footage of bears. I’m not sure I want to see the film, but I’m always interested in Richard Thompson.

a2137046149_9

1 Like

Forgot how great this album is. With a cavalcade of guest artists, Michelle Shocked explores the folk/country/bluegrass world, often starting with traditional songs, but building her own songs around them.

10 Likes

It’s a great album :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like