The folk thread

A new favourite…

1 Like

She may have got a symbol, but didn’t get paid for the session.

A poor show.

Thanks for suggesting this. I listened to the album, amazed at how Tim Sparks bent the notes.

1 Like

Josienne Clarke has an album of covers, Now & Then on Bandcamp, including Reynardine, Time has told me, Now and Then …

1 Like

That’s really interesting. I very much liked a lot of her earlier material when she recorded/performed with guitarist Ben Walker. However, it seems all was far from well in that duo and she walked away. She has been pursuing a solo career in the past 4-5 years so I’ll look forward to exploring that.

To those unfamiliar with her work, you should be warned that she has been described as a ‘long-term misery botherer and harbinger of melancholy’, so perhaps not for everyone!

1 Like

I missed her earlier work with Ben Walker, so will have a listen. My wife confessed after enduring Sandy Denny for all the years we have been together that she can’t stand her. I don’t think it’s Denny’s voice but more the material. So now I play her when I’m alone or on headphones.

1 Like

Interesting looking compo from Cherry Red who are very good at this sort of thing. Worth reemphasising that these aren’t recordings from the club.

3 Likes

Richard Thompson upcoming gig at Birmingham Symphony Hall 3rd June.

2 Likes

1967 his folky debut. Never heard this before, but saw it on the What are You Listening thread now Qobuz is working again.

6 Likes

It’s a cracking album.

1 Like

It certainly is! The sitar in ‘Rolling Home’ is evocative. ‘John’s debut album was recorded at Tony Pyke’s home studio in Dryburgh Road, Putney in glorious mono and then mastered at Pye Studios, Marble Arch, London for the princely sum of £158. Recording and mastering was completed by 9 August and London Conversation was released when John was just nineteen in October 1967.’
https://johnmartyn.com/discography/john-martyn-discography-1960s/london-conversation/

I realise that I’m very familiar with ‘This Time’, must be on a compilation.

2 Likes

Yes great album. I saw him first in 1969 or early 1970 when he had only recorded two albums. He was such a mercurial performer and so talented. I think he found playing the guitar so easy and was always looking to move on. I remember him playing the echoplex and it was just exquisite. Sad loss.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pointer. Enjoying it now through ceiling speakers, later I’ll play it on the main system. His guitar work was engaging and there was no hint in his voice of things to come. A gem.

1 Like

Martin Hayes & the Brooklyn Rider String Quartet The Butterfly

4 Likes

Following on from JM

2 Likes

Lazy afternoon listening.

1 Like

4 Likes

that’s when the thread comes like real life conversation, when it meanders way off starting point

The hurdy-gurdy is a feat of engineering. I’ve been listening to Cellar Darling which is a black metal band, Anna Murphy sings and plays the hurdy-gurdy.
But I thought I’d post something more traditional here.

2 Likes