The folk thread

Going back to my early working days in London when I first heard this. I have it on vinyl but it has never sounded as good as this.

1 Like

this was purchased from a store just around the corner from the original recording studio. i’ve only every herd one other pressing better than this 200 gram and that was the first reissue in stereo i think from 68?? or was it 72? anyway wow magic

5 Likes

I understand that the songs on this album were all penned by Sandy Denny.

2 Likes

Outstanding album

3 Likes

I was signposted this today; it’s well worth a listen to the songs as opposed to the concept musings.
Ashley Hutchings, ‘by Gloucester docks I sat down and wept’.

(For some reason I can’t paste in a copy of its cover from Roon.)

2 Likes

That is what Sandy and Trevor’s daughter Georgia Rose said on a Facebook group I’m in.

2 Likes

Anyone planning to attend Folk East this year…. If any are, we could have a little Naimite meetup over a jar or two at the ‘half way house’.

Sadly for me it clashes with an 80th birthday party so I won’t be there this year.

1 Like

Very sad news, a great of Irish music, as well as the Bothys he was also a founder member of Planxty and Moving Hearts.
“Statement from the Bothy Band:

Founder member of the Bothy Band, DĂłnal Lunny, has recently undergone major surgery that will require a lengthy recuperation. This will prevent the Bothy Band from fulfilling all concerts planned for the summer and autumn of 2024.

We are mindful of the many people who were looking forward to the bands performances at the National Concert Hall. The members of the Bothy Band very much regret that we are obliged to cancel all concerts for 2024 as the recovery of DĂłnal comes first.

We are hopeful that we can re-schedule concerts for 2025.

We would request that people respect Dónal’s privacy as he works towards recovery.

TrIona nĂ­ Dhomhnaill,
Matt Molloy,
Paddy Keenan,
Kevin Burke,
Paddy Glackin,
Seán Óg Graham. “

5 Likes

Talking cricket with a chap in the pub yesterday when our conversation morphed into music. It turns out his partner is a musician; it would have been rude not to listen to her music today. I liked her acoustic stuff.

4 Likes

Same conversation led me to this band, which at first listen sounds promising.

3 Likes

Willy O’Winsbury (Child Ballard 100). Spoken vocal on this recording by the young Welsh poet Iestyn Tyne. I heard Iestyn play his fiddle at the end of April on Ynys Enlli (Bardsey Island), he is a fine player, besides being an acclaimed Welsh language poet. Cerys Hafana sings on her album The Bitter

2 Likes

Stumbled on this the other day; it’s been played in the car and bedroom system, but today she gets an outing on my main system. It’s delightful.

I think the tune that first caught my attention was the Breton tune, the Wren.

3 Likes

British Classical Music Conservatoires increasingly play jazz and folk.
This in a Royal Birmingham Conservatoire big band. Lots of people on stage and plenty of energy.

1 Like

Anne Briggs, ‘She moved through the fair’ (1963) An amazing voice.

Uncut had an interview with Anne in April 2019. Topic released a deluxe version of her self-titled record. https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/i-dont-know-who-i-am-i-dont-know-what-i-am-but-i-am-anne-briggs-interviewed-144807/

6 Likes

The inspiration, of course, for Richard Thompson’s ‘Beeswing’. His song catches her beautiful mercurial character.

2 Likes

The Topic 2024 reissue is on Qobuz and LP special edition.

Wow, not heard her before. Beautiful.

1 Like

I was lucky to buy the 1971 Topic LP in the 70s, but this became scarce. Some more information on Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Briggs

Amazon has a 2024 re release of Topic, plus a few other albums. I have a new playlist.

1 Like