The folk thread

By George I think I might be able to do just that. Last time I saw Linda she was still kicking Richard.

4 Likes

Andy Churchill-Moss, playing acoustic guitar with Sam Sweeney turns out to be a melodion virtuoso. He has a solo CD PH(R)ASE which I didn’t buy as it was £20 (bearing in mind I’d never heard him play) and contains the sheet music, which sadly I don’t read. He’s on Bandcamp and
a review here: Archie Churchill-Moss - PH(R)ASE: Album Review – At The Barrier

1 Like

And here’s Archie Moss with fiddle player Tom Moore duet on ‘Trapdoors’ I definitely will buy the album Spectres.

1 Like

Another version of Banks of the Nile.

3 Likes

Thanks to @Stokie for showing the way to ACM, who is also playing on this album: Bryn Terfel’s ‘sea songs. The blurb on Roon says it’s ’great Fun’; it is, but it also stretches the genre and Bryn’s voice imbues the songs with character.

1 Like

Yes, I like the great voice of Bryn Terfel singing this material. I don’t mind a touch of concert hall in folk! Guest stars Sting, Simon Keenlyside, Fisherman’s Friends and Calan who sound as if they are enjoying themselves too.

1 Like

There’s usually folk at Glastonbury, but BBC iPlayer doesn’t really cover the smaller stages.

The Mary Wallopers Park Stage Fri 28th.
Lankum is expected to be on the Park Stage on Sat - so viewers should be able to watch them.
Nitin Sawhney Sat West Holts
Seasick Steve Sun Pyramid Stage

Enjoyed Lankum, should be on BBC Sounds after their set is over. An ‘experimental’ treatment of traditional tunes with lots of drones and dissonance, but this suits the material.

1 Like

‘Go dig my grave’

3 Likes

I’ve only recently come across Lankum - really like their work.

2 Likes

This would be a good one for Wings of Pegasus to look at to show how pitch correction would completely ruin a performance.

2 Likes

I’ve come across reaction videos in Metal, but I’ve not watched many.

Lankum have a ‘Live in Dublin’ new album. There’s also Spud Murphy and Radie Peat’s other band ØXN which I’ve not listened to.

Myrkur - the House Carpenter.

Definitely - Safe For Folk…!!

2 Likes

Heilung performed at Glastonbury and this is on BBC iPlayer for a month. Though they had been embraced by metal fans, I’m not sure they are folk or metal, but I won’t lose much sleep over classification. Here’s Drif 2022.

1 Like

Hana Prossa in the Guardian calls Big|Brave ‘A Chaos of Flowers’ ‘…really a folk album. A folk music wolf lurking in doom metal’s clothing.’ The lyric of ‘I felt a funeral’ is a poem by Emily Dickinson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY0CDcLURRU&t=291s
On Bandcamp https://bigbrave.bandcamp.com/album/a-chaos-of-flowers
The singer Robin Wattie says “I discovered that most poems from folk traditions or in the public domain seem to be by men – to which I could not quite relate. In my search, I rediscovered some of my favorite works and poets” An extremely untraditional treatment.

1 Like

Richard Thompson was on Private Passions this weekend, available on Sounds. Unsurprisingly an eclectic mix of music.

5 Likes

Martin Carthy, ‘Famous Flower of Serving Men’ Shearwater 1972 - a studio recording. Lyrics in the comments on YouTube. One of my favourite Carthy tracks.

1 Like

Unusually according to Roy Palmer A Book of British Ballads we know who wrote the words: Laurence Price who published a broadside in July 1656. https://mainlynorfolk.info/martin.carthy/songs/thefamousflowerofservingmen.html

1 Like

Certainly an eclectic selection, that has had me diving into Qobuz to find the tracks and artists.
Dame Janet Baker’s singing on Elgar’s Sea Pictures, op. 37: IV. Where Corals Lie sounded astonishing.

Not something I’d have sought out, but I guess Richard Thompson is as good a musical guide as he is a musician.

Insightful programme. Well worth the listen.

4 Likes

Listened to a very interesting programme about the life Ewan MacColl on Radio 4 on Saturday.

Recommended.

2 Likes

The whole album it’s from is worth a listen, Baker’s Sea Pictures on one side (I have it on vinyl) and du Pré’s absolutely phenomenal Elgar Cello Concerto on the other.

4 Likes