The folk thread

Thanks. I too heard the bit on Private Passions so I have marked this for a listen off Qobuz.

1 Like

More than just “worth a listen” I’d say. It’s a Dessert Island Disc for me, and I don’t think I’m alone. John Steane, Gramophone’s leading choral critic (and my former English teacher) went into raptures over Baker and Barbirolli’s version of Sea Pictures. I’m with him. And then there’s the Cello Concerto 

Roger

1 Like

I’d agree Roger, I was trying not to gush.

1 Like

I only heard Baker live a couple of times, but there was just something about that voice that, for me at least, managed to convey the emotional content of what she was singing like few if any others.

Roger

2 Likes

RT guitar, mandolin, accordion, vocals, production

• Bobby Eichhorn – acoustic guitar electric guitar
  • Michael Jerome – drums, percussion
  • David Mansfield - fiddle
  • Zara Phillips – harmony vocals
  • Taras Prodaniuk – bass guitar

The band tour features: Taras Prodaniuk on bass, Thompson’s grandson Zak Hobbs on guitar and mandolin, Zara Phillips on vocals and acoustic guitar and Dave Mattacks no less on drums.

5 Likes

Cracking album that led me to listening to this for the first time.

1 Like

Does this count as folk? Bit if blues too. Fantastic anyway. Subtle, rich and great musicianship.

5 Likes

Definitely folk for me although a wider palette than his last album. Great stuff though.

John Tams in The Home Service 1981

John Tams, Bill Caddick, Graeme Taylor, Michael Gregory, Malcolm Bennett, Howard Evans, and Roger Williams
Set List

1. Napoleon’s Grand Marche
  2. Walk My Way
  3. The Grenadier
  4. The Blue Eyed Stranger
  5. The Barmaids Song
  6. Where are The Bluebirds?
  7. Galliard / Bramsley
  8. Doing The Inglish
  9. Chaconne
2 Likes

Graeme Taylor in his band Gryphon from 1974. In B&W, but the sound quality is cracking!

1 Like

Toumani Diabaté obituary: the Malian kora player was 58. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/jul/21/toumani-diabate-obituary

2 Likes

Very sad. Several of his albums can take me to my happy place.

2 Likes

It’s always a pleasure to revisit this one

6 Likes

The Eliza contribution to the new Linda Thompson album is excellent.

5 Likes

Live at the Cadogan Hall, she told us that Linda had sent her some nursery rhymes from her Scottish childhood and asked her to “folk them up”.

5 Likes

Benjamin Luxon accompanied by Ben Crofut
‘Johnny I hardly knew’ya’ A very expressive performance. Luxon died age 87 and was known as an opera singer. But he recorded many popular and folk songs.

3 Likes

I remember seeing the experimental guitarist Nigel Mazyln Jones some time in the late 70s at a University Union. The album he had at the time was also called ‘Ship to Shore’.

1 Like

Thanks Ron! Here he is.

1 Like

Digitisation of Welsh language record label Sain back catalogue. ‘It comes at a good time for Welsh language music. Streaming has made music performed in Cymraeg much more accessible. “All over the world, people are open to the language being part of the sound they hear,” Tames said. “It doesn’t have to be in English for them to enjoy it.”’
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/aug/01/welsh-record-label-sian-digitise-back-catalogue-recordings

4 Likes

I want to thank you all for this thread, it has broadened (is that the correct English word?) my horizon!

Regards,
Piet

2 Likes