The folk thread

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0crsrxc
BBC Sounds ‘The Curious Collection’ podcast. I think you have to be in the UK to listen to this. Bit of a history of morris dancing and an interview with Ashley Hutchings.
Morris_On_(Keith_Morris_album)

2 Likes

‘Broadened’ is correct. Are you from the Netherlands, Piet? What’s the folk scene like? Do you listen to folk locally?
Derek

Yes Derek, I am from the Netherlands, how did you guess :grinning:
I don’t know the folk genre very well in the Netherlands!
In my youth I listened to some local bands, it was mixture of folk
and protest songs.

Regards,
Piet

1 Like

Hi Piet,
Yes, there was a strong line of protest songs in the UK and USA too. Chris Wood’s Hollow Point 2011 is the last to make an impression on me.
Good wishes,
Derek

1 Like

Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh fiddler with Mick O’Brien uilleann pipes. Kitty Lie Over 2003
Ó Raghallaigh is a member of The Gloaming and has recorded with fellow member Thomas Bartlett. But these are a traditional set of tunes and wonderful to hear.
th-3331569364

1. Kitty Lie Over /Munster Buttermilk
  2. Teampall an Ghleanntain / Hickey’s
  3. Mickey Callaghan’s Slide / Winnie Hayes Jig
  4. Biddy from Sligo/ Punch for the Ladies
  5. Woman of the House / Rolling in the Ryegrass
  6. An Manglam / The Fairy Reel / I Have No Money
  7. Rathawaun/ The Hare in the Corn
  8. The Sporting Pitchfork / The Rambling Pitchfork
  9. The Lady on the Island / Seanbhean na gCartai
  10. Young Tom Ennis / The Rose in the Heather
  11. An Londubh (The Blackbird)
  12. The Copper Plate / Paddy Gone to France/ The Wind That Shakes the Barley
  13. Dillon Brown / Sarah Hobbs
  14. Na Ceannabhain Bhana / Mairseail Alasdruim/ Munster Buttermilk
  15. The Silver Spear / Mullin’s Fancy
2 Likes

And here’s Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh playing a set of pipes that he made himself. Also in 2003.

Not sure that this is pure ‘folk’ but it came up in my playlist this morning.

2 Likes

Back to what is folk? Having had a quick listen via Bandcamp and my tablet, Alison Cotton’s singing, phrasing, intonation has a folk feel. To Where Your Footsteps Led had me thinking of All Things Are Quite Silent.
Reviews reference Nick Drake, Sandy Denny, Mal Waterson, so folk is OK by me.

2 Likes

Certainly, Roon confirms that she’s a folkie with electronic influences:

2 Likes

I’ve not sat and listened to this album in at least 30 years … that’s a shame as it’s a gem.

7 Likes

Not just a gem… it’s also my favourite RT album !! Simply wonderful.
:smiley:

2 Likes

‘Pour Down like Silver’ is certainly one of the most compelling recordings by Richard and Linda Thompson. Some background here: Pour Down Like Silver - Wikipedia
Incidentally the spiritual leader turned out to be a Scotsman Abdalqadir as-Sufi - Wikipedia
Linda has her own current perspective on the commune. The 2004 Island Reissue has four bonus tracks. One to replay. I’ve not heard this for a while either.

1 Like

This morning’s recommendation from Roon.
Bonus: a fine rendering of ‘banks of the Nile’.

2 Likes

Pentangle were a big presence through the years. I have ‘Solomon’s Seal’ (1972) as an LP. The group split the following year. I see retrospective reviews have tended to see this record as a low point. I do like their treatment of Cyril Tawney’s ‘Sally Free and Easy.’
Solomons_seal

5 Likes

Jon Boden has a taster track ‘Old Brown’s Daughter’ from his forthcoming album ‘Parlour Ballads’. It’s a music hall song that was learned by Peter Bellamy from the singing of Walter Pardon. John Boden launched his folk song a day project with it. Here it gets upright piano and steel pedal guitar treatment. The stock carried by old Brown’s shop has been updated to cigarettes and bubble gum. Which made me curious about the invention of bubble gum. 1928 in the USA.

Mostly Norfolk has the dope: https://mainlynorfolk.info/peter.bellamy/songs/oldbrownsdaughter.html

Bowen’s latest is on Bandcamp. https://jonboden.bandcamp.com/album/parlour-ballads

2 Likes

One of my favourite folk songs, sad but with a dark undertone.

Last night I followed a rabbit hole associated with Vaughan Williams’ 5 variants on Dives and Lazarus that took me to Nick Jones, Martin Simpson and Loreena McKennitt. A most enjoyable diversion.

2 Likes

That song ‘Captain’s Apprentice’ got a cruel edge to it and I think that’s probably what attracted me to folk in the first place and keeps my attention.

1 Like

Enjoyed Friday at FolkEast this year, last year at Glemham hall which is a shame.
Enjoyed the Americana/English Folk crossovers that are starting to become popular… I don’t think anyone has coined a genre name for it yet.
Enjoyed Box River Junction below:

and of course the old favourites - the Quay Street Whalers in session at The Hop Inn…good Suffolk folk singing helped with beer of course - although there were a few in the tent from Norfolk as well :grinning:

4 Likes

There’s a recently published book about the song and Vaughan Williams.
It’s in my 'next reads" pile.

9781529115109-jacket-large

2 Likes

One to buy! I must listen to some Vaughan Williams, Edwardian folk music tends to be overlooked as unfashionable these days.

1 Like