The forgotten antipodes (NZL) of Naim

You should touchbase with RMC, its my understanding they can still provide recapping and servicing. Definitely worth a phone call. Chris and Steve have always provided fantastic service

1 Like

I spoke to an RMC staff member at the RMC 2 days ago. I mentioned I might buy a old nait1 on Trademe and get it serviced at RMC. He said there is increasing difficulty with naim servicing due to difficulty getting parts. Also they are now no longer a naim dealer, so I would guess this situation is an inevitable consequence as they go forwards.

Very sad. I had exceptional help from Chris Murphywhen I needed help getting my Naim gear to properly make a back-up on my NAS drives. I was in Sydney, he was in NZ and he essentially sacrificed a whole Sunday morning to communicate between computers and get me organised. I was very sad when Naim moved away from him and I haven’t had the same level of attention from the Sydney dealer since.

2 Likes

Not for me to do, but have you antipodeans considered directly inviting a senior Naim staff member in to read the described experiences and concerns in this thread?

1 Like

That’s a brilliant idea.

If enough Forum members get together they could fund a world tour servicing components as they went.

We had a similar thread about general support in the far east and servicing options. When Claire was a member she was going to follow it up with her colleagues but she left and the issue died with it. Richard was going to raise that on his next visit to the mothership but I think the trip was cancelled or the topic did not come up.

On one side, I realise that the current operating environment in the UK is truly beyond challenging at the moment. I can see how Naim might consider support quality for customers in far flung regions a Priority One issue, but maybe competing with several other ever higher Priority One issues that have more existential risk associated in the near term. Like where to get parts from and can they build anything that can vaguely compete with other products at a price point?

[addendum] On reading my post back to myself, maybe Naim should relocate to ANZ :grin: Might solve multiple issues. No one in the UK can buy a tin of beans right now let alone a hifi.

Funnily enough that was exactly my thought yesterday. And interestingly, in discussion with a Ferrari owning cycle companion a few days ago I learned that is just what Ferrari do: apparently they come to my island once a year for a couple of weeks, bringing over a few of the latest demonstrators, and servicing the Ferraris of owners living here.

That’s a bit more of a commitment than just popping a hifi engineer on a plane. Impressive

I guess Ferrari do it to promote sales - and it wouldn’t take many sales to fund the trip! I assume they do to other remote locations lacking dealership but with owners or seriously likely owners.

1 Like

Yes the unit price is a bit higher.

I wonder if there are any Statement owners in NZ who might get a visit?

Yes there are a surprising number of Statement owners in New Zealand, though no thanks to the clowns now handling the dealership. God only help the owners when something goes awry.

3 Likes

The issue was discussed here before the change over when concerns were raised. The discussion wasn’t welcome, to the extent that I was placed under moderation for an extended period of time. This was when RM had placed last orders, so to speak, and goods weren’t being supplied and I ended up having to reorder some months later from PM.

2 Likes

I do recall that, though the topic and detail was somewhat different, happening at a time when, I guess, contracts may have still been in the process of change, with sensitivity and confidentiality around them. The change is now in the past, and this thread voices the difficulties and frustrations faced by Naim customers, about which I would have thought any decent business would at least want to be aware, and hopefully address or at least provide some guidance or reassurance, even if it is purely that things are currently on hold die to the post-COVID supply chain problems possibly compounded by the knock-on effect of the war in Ukraine.

They might even be interested in the idea of a world service (or service and demo) tour!

1 Like

What is happening in New Zealand, why this dissatisfaction with Nam?:thinking: (Just asking)

A superb dealer with over a 30 year track record of excellent sales and after sales service no longer has the naim dealership for NZ and Australia. The the new dealers do not provide the same degree of service.

9 Likes

Sad to hear. Did he retire, or what happened?

I am not sure why , but naim wanted another business to represent them for whatever reason. We customers thought it odd as the owner was friends with Julian Vereker and was heavily involved in Naim since the 1980s.HE had unparallelled naim knowledge but thats business.

4 Likes

It strikes me that you may be able to get some economies of scale for servicing in Australia if you form a NZ Naim owners club and define bi-annual bulk shipping to the authorised service centre. Sending 20 units on two aircraft pallets costs far less than 10 people sending 2 boxes at a time.

3 Likes

I did get to the factory and did get an opportunity to raise the issue with somebody in Naim’s export sales. We seemed in general agreement that some clarity and focus was needed on the overseas servicing front. So hopefully it’s on the agenda. We shall see.

7 Likes

If you need help. Ask.