The forgotten antipodes (NZL) of Naim

If I could suggest, it may be good for Naim to designate one distributor in each continent who is the authorised point of service for any customers in non Naim distributed countries in that continent it may greatly help with ensuring that no matter where a customer is, no one falls through the cracks.

We can certainly buy hifi. It’s eggs we can’t buy.

Roger

1 Like

Having said that, if you need equipment serviced or repaired, you can just ship it to AV Options (USA) or Naim (Canada, but they have a pretty good shipping arrangement) and either will do a bang-up job,

Or perhaps decide who you want to have an ongoing relationship with, and then let that determine what makes/models are available for audition?

2 Likes

However, hifi choice is normally based first on balance of sound quality and cost, then on where to get it from. To reverse that and start with choosing a dealer could be very limiting…

Unfortunately in New Zealand the choice of brands is much more limited than elsewhere in the world.

1 Like

All of this is quite sad, I still think Naim shot themselves in the foot when they dropped Chris. When I first got my Unitsever I had a few issues that my dealer couldn’t fix and Chris was always there on the phone to help, I bet you wouldn’t get that from the new mob. We’re lucky in Sydney we still have a dealer that’s been with Naim in one form our another since they first came here. Being this far from the Naim mothership relationships are so important especially when you’re spending the kind of money Naim are now asking.

Incidentally Naim/Focal biggest retailer in Sydney isn’t in a hurry to sell either product and tried hard to talk me out of even auditioning a pair of Focal speakers. You can’t buy that kind of loyalty apparently.

Naim are now sold here and NZ by a mega distributor that has so many brands they can’t focus on one.

7 Likes

Did you win the auction? I was intending to put in a bid but had a day of back to back meetings and forgot…

I had set my high bid at $480.00, but after finding out that servicing would be tricky and already having a nait2 CB I withdrew from the auction. It sold for $475.

:+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

I saw the selling price - I would have happily paid more - I’ve consoled myself by remembering that I don’t actually need an excuse to have to buy a set of speakers and a streaming source for the workshop (the Muso Qb is doing a fine job down there).

2 Likes

Totally agree.
I have been a long time customer with Shore Hi Fi.
They have looked after me really well and there after sales customer care has been second to none. Chris always provided prompt repair of any of my Naim kit and I am sorry that after so many great years the relationship with The Real Music company.

2 Likes

I have been reading posts about this issue going back for quite some time but thus far Naim seem to have remained silent.
Had I known this was the case I may have reconsidered my second hand purchase of a considerable amount of Naim kit.
I now realize why the seller might have sold it to me at what I considered at the time to be bargain basement prices. Should have researched more thoroughly.

That’s quite ‘glass half empty’ Darkside. I have recently purchased second hand Naim Classic Series upgrades and have recently had an Olive unit serviced in NZ without any problems. No regrets for me and I hope to be able to continue on that path if/when funds permit. (This is not an endorsement of distribution changes, just saying it doesn’t have to be the end of the brand). Enjoy your music.

Fear not, I am definitely enjoying the music. May I ask who serviced your gear?

I have just realized you may not be able to say, probably against rules if not an authorized Naim dealer.

It was my CD3.5 about 6 months ago that needed the dac replaced, plus they did caps, etc. Work was arranged by my ex-Naim dealer in North Auckland, but undertaken by someone in Wellington with a lot of Naim experience. Sorry, I can’t remember the Wellington name, nor do I know if they are still providing Naim servicing to the new Naim dealers. Perhaps someone else can advise (depending on how many people service Naim in Wellington)?

1 Like

Thanks for that, I’ll do some research.

I suspect it was the ex Naim distributor ( who had both NZ and Australian distributorship) did the service out of his past love for Naim over so many years

He is domiciled in Wellington and probably the only person floating around that would know anything about the CD 3.5

1 Like

In that case I feel quite privileged…but also a bit sad if not everyone can have that level of service.