The Grand Cafe

Just quietly I’d rather the spiders.

1 Like

I could sell you some spiders to take care of those flys/maggots. Hasn’t been that hot here and not as many flys around. Millions of cicadas though, you can hardly hear yourself think some days.

1 Like

I saw this and realised it was an instruction:

1 Like

At 85 characters, this place name is one of the longest in the world.

Near Porangahau in Hawke’s Bay is an unassuming hill known as “Taumata whakatangi hangakoauau o tamatea turi pukakapiki maunga horo nuku pokai whenua kitanatahu”, which translates into English as “the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as 'landeater’, played his flute to his loved one.” Locals simply call it Taumata Hill.

Tamatea was a famous chief and warrior. One day, while travelling through the back of Porangahau, he encountered another tribe and had to fight them to get past. During the fight his brother was killed. Tamatea was so grieved over the loss of his brother that he stayed at the battle site for some days. Each morning he would sit on the hill and play a lament on what is called the koauau or Maori flute.

You can find the hill by driving south from Waipukurau for about 55 kilometres, turn right onto Wimbledon Road. A sign displaying the name is situated about five kilometres along this road. It’s a great photo opportunity. The actual place is on private land, so permission is required before you can walk to it.

And yes I’m quite sure its on a road sign. I’ll see if I can find a pic.

1 Like

Just ave a go mate!..Film the experience for us though :rofl:
is it an Orb Weaver? Looks like it might be quite nimble.

edit. Sorry just saw your ID post of the spider. Harmless wee thing it is…

https://goo.gl/maps/A3CYqmj7wwsj8nxg6

1 Like

Reminds me of the old joke:

Why do female spiders eat the males immediately after sex?

Saves waiting for the snoring to start

1 Like

He is Australian though :roll_eyes:

Be careful you don’t get hit by a car. My mates now told me he wants to do our road trip in NZ, not what I had in mind I wanted to take me Alfa for a run. But I guess it’s not about me.

What’s the best island to drive.

1 Like

What that meant to mean :scream:

1 Like

If you like mountains, the South Island. If you like coastlines, I’d say the North Island. You can’t go wrong and you could do both.

How long with a few stops on each island would it take to drive both islands. My main concern was that I more comfortable with a drive in Aus cause if anything happened I could get him home. Going to NZ (if we can of course) means I need to rely on a fight home. For his wife’s, kids and grandkids sake my face shouldn’t be the last face he sees.

NZ is bigger than what you think Pete especially the South Island with the mountains. I would suggest at least 7 - 10 days to cover it with a few stops along the way although could go much longer. The west coast of South Island is marvellous , down south one would think you’re in a Jurassic Park movie. South Island is bit like Canada and northern Europe . Plenty of action around Queenstown etc. Great wine drinking country both islands.

North island is great right up north with the beaches and islands etc but plenty of that in Aussie

Mind you I’m a biased ex south islander

Cheers

That’s problem he can’t drink or drive. I’d need to make that I stayed overnight at the best wine regions.

1 Like

South Island - Otago (Queenstown) and Marlborough ( top of the island )

North Island - probably Hawkes Bay ( Napier on the east coast mid way ) and perhaps Waiheke Island out from Auckland

South Island - pinots

North island - Syrah and cab merlots etc

1 Like

Cheers, the 7 to 10 days would that be for both islands.

Not in my opinion Pete - I’ve done both islands in 14 days and frankly it’s pushing it unless you fly a few places

Sort of depends how much you want to see along the way

A few Aussies I know have taken about 14 days plus just for the South Island

I might have to chose an island, thanks.

1 Like

I agree, 10 to 14 days for one island to do it justice. Crikey, we hardly even venture out of Northland!