The Grand Cafe

Somehow I’m thinking it doesn’t seem to work out that way Mike unfortunately

Unfortunately, as most things at component level for hifi manufacturers are all priced in US$, a strong dollar just tends to increase manufacturing cost in the UK and Europe.

1 Like

Well that’s god news, not. Glad I’ve reached the end of my Naim journey (bar winning lotto).

3 Likes

Likewise , I’ve completely revamped mine , except for two components (The CD player and my elderly NAT03)

There maybe an ifi DAC but that’s it .

I suspect the audio manufacturing and retail industry may experience some volatility .

Hoping I am proved wrong

1 Like

The USD (and, to some extent, the EU) are changing so fast I’m adjusting our prices a couple of times A WEEK!

1 Like

Labour cost remains the biggest part though.

These are challenging times, both as a consumer and in business. However I can’t help think that some industries/businesses are using these times as an excuse to plunder.

2 Likes

tbh though, I’d imagine the bulk of the cost of a NAIM product are local costs like R&D/labour/other overheads. A 10% change in parts costs would, I expect, have only a minor change on the factory gate cost. Of course, if the product is to be sold out of the UK then the GBP/EU/USD then the currency shift can have a HUGE effect.

1 Like

Off to the big smoke tomorrow morning, got a few days babysitting a few grandkids and then picking up my new speakers. :grin:

6 Likes

The Witch Hat cable seems to have given a little depth to the overall sound, there’s a lot more timber (think that’s the right word) in voices and especially acoustic guitar. I’m impressed so far.

5 Likes

Ah the full loom beckons😉

3 Likes

I’m still waiting for my naughty Morgana.

I’m happy with mine, I always feel the cable supplied was less than suitable. It’s about as thin as a strand of wool. Their cables are well made and seem to work.

Hopefully yours isn’t too far away.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing around with the Star tonight, well the speakers really. I wasn’t entirely happy with the sound - too boxy/boomy. Moving the AR 22BX’s away a further inch or so from the wall has fixed that and it’s sounding rather good.

Tomorrow I’ll put my Totem Hawks on the Star as a comparison against the ARs. My dealer has an end of run of the discontinued Totem Rainmakers on sale, which could go on the AR’s stands. Not really wanting to spend much on that system though and if they comparison is close, will happily stick with the ARs.

1 Like

Moving off the wall generally makes a difference.

1 Like

I hear new speakers safely in your hands

Harry just been around as replaced the fascia on the nDAC which had gone somewhat purple recently

All neatly packed and in our son’s garage till we go home on Sunday

4 Likes

Water proof I trust :+1:

Safe and dry

Hm, so the Hawks were quite a bit better. So, the Rainmakers, utilising my existing stands, could be worthwhile. They are discontinued now and reduced from $2,050 to $1,450 - a bargain really……

1 Like