The Grand Cafe

It’s the opposite situation down in Mittagong Pete

2 pubs -

1st one - the husband and wife that have taken it over have completely refurbished it , repainted the outside, renamed it , spruced up the food etc . It’s now quite a good place to have a few and gets a good clientele base now. Still a few pokies but they are hidden away

2nd one - recently purchased by hotel family from Robertson in Highlands. Closed for major renovations but it will be good as the one they have in Robertson is great . Will be open soon, it needed a good going over

The people who have bought it have no interest in the “community” whatsoever they’ve stripped it of the pokies which is what they wanted and have no intention the reverb. It’s back on the market for a lousy $1.3m they paid $6.2m (apparently) just to get the pokies.

The value of those pokie machines is mind-boggling.

1 Like

Good god that’s disgusting

Probably not a bad price for purchase now but will need someone with long term plan to build it back up and get the locals behind it

Are there lots of tradies in the area? They’ll be having a few

Mike it just shows you how much money the rip out of a community and worse still governments won’t do anything as they make so much in tax revenues.

1 Like

We’re hoping that’s what happens it’d be nice for a local to own it as they’ll be more interested it the town as a whole. Fckng merchant bankers and capital ventures are the curse of small communities, pricks are even buying farms here as well.

1 Like

Same down in southern highlands, lawyers, QC’s , bankers, wankers buying everywhere

You down there this weekend?

It’s the same here sadly.

@Mike_S

Bit sad today I am

The Italian restaurant where I go to for breakfast ( and sometimes lunch) in the city are closing in 2 weeks and not coming back

Run by 2 lovely brothers and wife, and have built it up over 5 years plus and survived through covid

This is a case of corporate landlord ( and I work for property company) being stupid and not understanding retail.

The brothers wanted to sign a new 10 year deal at a reasonable rent but the landlord wanted a rent right over the top, I won’t say what it was but I work in that space and it was complete nuts, plus they wanted all the back rent reductions during covid repaid

Further the city is not back to pre covid days and probably may never be with office workers back to say 40% level pre covid in the office.

It’s a great restaurant and often on my Fridays off work I would go there with couple of friends and have a great time and laughs with the owners, it was fun and the food and Italian wine was fantastic

A case of corporate greed gone completely over the top , so the site will remain vacant for a long time until some unsuspecting mug comes along I guess

The boys will open up somewhere else but probably not in the city , we are keeping in touch

Sad time all round

2 Likes

No not going down until new year I’m off to NZ in couple of weeks and must say I’m really looking forward to it

Christchurch and then Queenstown - restaurants and vineyards lined up👍

1 Like

A friend of ours was run a very successful fish and chip shop in Bateau Bay for almost 15 years. They wanted to retire and sell the business, they had let the existing lease lapse and approached the landlord for a new one and he refused and even worse gave them 3 months to vacate.

They’d never missed a rent and never argued about increase or complained about issues they were a perfect tenant. Their have lost all they good will and had work.

Apparently he now wants a different type of business in the shop.

2 Likes

These brothers are in their early 40’s I guess and come from family Italian restaurants background

Restaurant modern looking they did a great job on the fit out etc , employed great staff and chefs and now they have to find other employment which they will but they all loved working there

Problem is the landlord is a JV between well known property company ( I use to work for ) and you guessed it , a Bank !!!

I’ll stop nagging on about it now but not so good times

Hence my motto, independence and resilience, otherwise you are open game to being reemed.

Some days it all feels like one big long slow train wreck. Fortunately we have great music to get lost in.

1 Like

Spot on there Mike :+1:

1 Like

Some of us have better systems than others though. :grin::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

@Mike_S

Ha ha - that comment pointed towards me ???

Now excuse my ignorance being a non streamer and you two guys are proficient in that department

Probably a silly question from a novice

When you are streaming from the likes of tidal etc, do the lyrics for each song come up on say an iPad or how does this work ?

I wish I had friends who so complimentary

2 Likes

No lyrics which probably a good thing for those around you. Maybe Roon could help.