The Grand Cafe

That’s weird me being big on lyrics

What made me ask ,I just purchased the Artic Monkeys CD The Car

The lyrics are really great

It’s a great album.

Funny how bankers rhymes with wankers …

1 Like

It’s beoming quite typical these days. Our local smokehouse that did great beef brisket or pulled pork on a bun, plus other great stuff just shut down. The landlord doubled his rent/lease about 6 months back and he just couldn’t carry it.
Rotten, b!eeding, bas***ds. It was our goto friday dinner take away and the talented chef’s, family livelihood.

Looking forward to this, a Canadian Club and dry. Perfect for a warm Friday afternoon.

Now relax and listen to a few tunes. :grin:

4 Likes

Nice one. Cheers.

1 Like

Feck it, I’m grabbing a beer.

2 Likes

It’s 6.30 there you’re a bit late.

1 Like

And the stupidity is, that I suspect the landlord won’t get the money he was looking for. A lot of commercial premises are empty these days

2 Likes

That’s so true, I can’t believe how greedy and short sighted some landlords are.

2 Likes

A popular solution in the UK, in rural locations, is the local community chip in and buy/take over the pub. I’ve already had the hint from a local at the village we should be moving to, that we’re expected to chuck a monkey into a share of the pub…

For those not local (£500):

1 Like

Funny you mentioned that it was discussed last night, and tbh I would consider coughing up some gorillas if it meant the pub would (a) stay open and (b) refurbish to meet a changing clientele.

2 Likes

Touché :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was going to say the same as @anon4216120
However, it is not just a matter of chipping in some money - the community also needs to run, and in some cases, man the pub. Can work very well but can also run into trouble if disagreements break out

I’m a member of our local Business Chamber and I’m well aware of what happens when communities get involved. We’re hoping someone they actually cares about the town buys it, it’ll more than likely be a cashed up early retired yuppie from the big smoke (Sydney). Which tbh wouldn’t be a bad thing.

2 Likes

Sounding a bit like you except for the yuppie bit😉

2 Likes

What’s the opposite of a young upwardly mobile professional?:wink:

1 Like

I have a feeling when we post pics of us toiling with our snow shovels the sympathy from down under may be muted😂

1 Like

No a yuppie would be good, they’re generally realistic about what people want. They also have much better taste in coffee.

1 Like