The Grand Cafe

Thanks Pete. It’ll be fine for sure. Once my fingers touch the keys only music exists. I hope you can relate that somehow to your own artistic work.

1 Like

You will play well. This is the last thing perhaps you can do for the deceased.

1 Like

That’ll be an organ transcription of Nimrod at the recessional.

1 Like

Best wishes to the birthday girl on her 15th, Mike. It’ll be a fun day I’m sure.

1 Like

Pass on our best birthday wishes Mike.

1 Like

Ardbeg10y,

You are a very fortunate man. I can’t play an instrument and, at 70 years old, I don’t think that I will ever will.

Every time I hear Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, Neil Young and many, many other guitarists, or Fats Waller, Oscar Peterson, Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea and many, many other pianists, I wish that I had had even a fraction of their talent and dedication.

Having said that, I suppose that a good part of the enjoyment that I get from listening to music is connected to my admiration of the skills of the artists – “… the achieve of, the mastery of the thing!”

You are in the very enviable position of being able to enjoy listening and to enjoy playing.

Best wishes,
Brian D.

4 Likes

Hey @NickofWimbledon, which hemisphere are you in at the moment?

I am back in London until about November: most feel that Tassie is not at its best in (very roughly) March-September.

1 Like

Oh… Does it only do well in Spring/Summer?
Have you completed your upgrade path (in London) now?

I was in touch with him recently and he was okay.

2 Likes

That’s good I know he and his wife going through a tough time.

1 Like

Did Miss Mike and family have a good day……on her birthday……she is a sweetie👍

2 Likes

London is done and I hope/ expect that it will never need redoing.

There’s a dedicated radial and CU/ Henly on the outside wall and a line of un-switched sockets inside. The LP12 has Stiletto, Skorpion, Keel, Radikal, Ekos and Kleos, plus the extra earth wire to the 52. The Superline has Z-plugs and is fed from the 52. The NDX2 has an XPS and the CDS2 always was a 2-box. The 300DR is a material step up from the 250. WH and Tellurium cables are better to me than the (already excellent) Naim wires and the rubbery feet under the older Naim boxes definitely help a little too. So does the record cleaner for any never-cleaned vinyl. It all works rather well, and other family members get to enjoy it when I am down under, which is nice.

Tasmania is still work in progress.

I will take Kudos KS-1 cable (in white) and Gaias down next time. I may also ship my old LP12 - they do have second-hand record shops there - and in that case I will probably get a Prefix and a new cartridge for it before I do. The floor will also be replaced imminently, but it is a lot less springy that Wimbledon, and the wiring is fine. More important, the neighbours are a long way away - if the wind is just right, they report hearing a guitar (Jansch, Hendrix, Johnson X2, Page, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Beck, Zappa, Squire, Thompson et al) and being pleased.

5 Likes

We’ve teenage kids and the discussions turn witty now and then.

I was telling a story about a visit to Florence in Italy.

Teenage son: were you there with your friends?
Teenage daughter immediately after it: were you alone in Florence?

Tasmania is fast becoming the place to go, a cooler summer means it’s far more comfortable than some (most) of the mainland states. It gets damn cold in winter though.

1 Like

Nice to see London looking and sounding so good.
Tasmania sounds like it won’t be far behind and sending the LP12 will certainly make it fun browsing for records down there.
Happy listening wherever you may be😊

Finally after months of negotiations and some shouting we got news this morning that we’ve got our DA (development approval). Now all we need to do is get on and get it built.

6 Likes

Well done Pete - how long did that take ?

Did you line up that builder that you mentioned? I think you said he was going to build a few in town

Really only just over a year from getting plans done and submitted. But it’s sat on desks in countless offices in council for 8-9 months. It could have been quicker as we’d meet all their prior concerns, they’re just either too busy and/or too unorganised. Probably both.

Builders quoting it now there was a redraw of the roof to make it more efficient to build.

1 Like

Standard procedure

In Sydney one of mine took 9 months until I threatened to sue council and go to the media

Other one took well over 12 months with hassle from neighbours but got there eventually and it was a great build

But never going there again