You could call it ”the state of the master-owners”. In short:
Increase by 9% over 2021 with 67% from streaming. Largest increase in ”sub-saharan” Africa with 34.7%.
The change in consumer-countries was China entering at number 5 (US, Japan, UK, Germany, China, France).
Total revenue was 26,2 billion dollar. Streaming has 589 million paying users.
Physical media increased by 4% (17.6% of total revenues or 4.6 billion dollars).
Younger users see gaming as no 1 entertainment with music as no 2. The industry is looking at increasing subscription prices and/or gaming, NFT:s and new forms services offering closer connection to favorite artists.
Most streamed songs:
- Harry Styles – As It Was: 2,38 billion
- Glass Animals – Heat Waves: 1,75 billion
- The Kid Laroi & Justin Bieber – Stay: 1,74 billion
- Elton John & Dua Lipa – Cold Heart: 1,34 billion
- The Weeknd – Save Your Tears: 1,32 billion
- Imagine Dragins & Jid – Enemy: 1,26 billion
- Ed Sheeran – Shivers: 1,23 billion
- Gayle – ABCDEFU: 1,22 billion
- Bad Bunny & Chencho Corleone – Me Porto Bonito: 1,21 billion
- Ed Sheeran – Bad Habits: 1,2 billion
Look at their webpage for this and other reports. Ifpi.org