The Listening Room Reality

You can put heavy acoustic curtains on that windows. From memory, I feel to remember that @Thomas has these specific curtains. But perhaps it’s not the case. However these hifi curtains exist .
Large glass windows may be a problem.

1 Like

You have indeed a very large living room. Have you enough bass?

2 Likes

Yes, we have curtains behind the system and one speaker (the other speaker has a wall behind it). They need replacing, it’s on this years “to do” list, so an opportunity there. The windows, the view, you know the issue!

That is half the room!

3 Likes

Maybe white transparent acoustic curtains ? I understand that with such a view it can be a problem to hide it.

Yes, I do, those Totem Forest Sigs are no slouches. But one can always have more, so trialing S/L speaker cables later this week, and they are meant to do delightful things for bass.

1 Like

My problem is the opposite. 18m2 vs 150 m2 ?

Main room is about 90sqm. The media room/office is about 18sqm, almost too much bass.

As it happens, when we extended the lounge Rae wanted the big window behind the hi-fi/tv cabinet removed and the TV wall mounted. That was before the new system. Off course, now wishing we had.

1 Like

Big rooms are good! With no near reflections from the side the only near reflections you have are the ceiling, and the floor (the rug is possibly not close enough to the speakers to kill the latter). The rear wall is a fair distance away, the one potential issue is that ears dead centre of the room would be positioned on a null. Front to back your room’s size and positioning is not dissimilar to mine, though the optimum seating position in mine is a touch further forward.

1 Like

I remember that some reported in the forum being disappointed by the sound in their very big rooms. Hopefully it’s not always the case.
The complaints were the lacking bass. The reason also to use sometimes subwoofers in such rooms.

Great feedback thanks @Innocent_Bystander. The listening position is constrained by the internal stairs, that you can’t see in the other photos:

Having a very large room is good but can be problematic. You really need large speakers which will usually be more costly.
Small monitors won’t usually work.
As mentioned bass null points need to be avoided with proper positioning of speakers as well as listening position.
In my large room I’ve had the following loudspeakers from oldest most recent- Linn 5140, Piega C8 Ltd, Focal 1038 be, and my current Kudos Titan T88s. The Titans fill the room better than the others. However, they are large and expensive.
-david

1 Like

Excellent video. I enjoyed it.

1 Like

What do people think would be a good DIY aesthetic option to tone down the bass trap behind my speakers in the media room/office? Speaker positioning is as good as I can get whilst we have two desks for the office. Speakers are rear ported and in front of the tv cabinet and desks. I was thinking of a panel that I could slot into the gaps and also hide the nest of cables.

SOCKS or foam rubber stuffed in the rear ports. Sometimes this works and isn’t even visible - also inexpensive to experiment with. :grin:

Socks suck the life of music, I tried. Perhaps it works sometimes…

Wrong person cited for your reply, I think!
But in answer to your suggestion, they would likely destroy the desirable characteristics of tge speakers…

I don’t have experience with rear ported speakers, but I think to get the best out of them you probably need reason the space behind them, and to the sides of them. That suggests that the rather closing-ineffect of the units each side might not be doing them justice. For the same reason I am not quite sure what would be the effect of a bass absorber behind the speakers - it might prevent the rear port radiating adequately, however if the soeakers did have a slightly wider space I would be inclined to put in a bass absorbing flat panel (that probably means 150 mm thick), but experimenting with the panel’s vertical position, maybe deliberately not at the bottom third or half of the speaker to let the port do its work.

Unfortunately this is only guesswork! You could do worse then ask the same question of the likes of GIK.

1 Like

I also found, many years ago, using foam or cloth in a port really killed the sound. What did work was a bunch of drinking straws. Worth a try maybe.

1 Like