The Listening Room Reality

Just for curiosity, I found this system on a Canadian audiophile site. The acoustic treatment is impressive. I have rarely seen that.

Traitement acoustique

• Panneau diffuseur quadratique 2D mk 3 en avant inovaudio®, made in Canada.
  • Panneau diffuseur quadratique 2D mk 3 de type Papillons, inovaudio®, made in Canada.
  • Panneaux diffuseurs quadratiques verticaux, murs latéraux et arrière inovaudio®, made in Canada.
  • PYT Audio panneaux plats de type absorbeurs, au plafond, fait en France.
  • Diffracteur et bass corner Pearl Rain inovaudio® sur pieds, made in Canada.

As @PeterR has given me a drum roll or should that be a poison chalice (when talking about a.n.other’s system, musical tastes et al), my conclusions from my visit today were:

1- Something much for the better has emerged from the most recent room treatment changes. In previous visits, to my ears the Facts which have very good reviews came across as very analytical, great separation and detailing but the sound lacked some weight and wasn’t pushing in to the room as I would prefer. A magic ingredient was missing, perhaps a simple misplacement in chasing down the elusive bass-taming dragon. It’s been a long journey for Peter and it wasn’t clear if the fundamental challenge is his Fact 12’s (£’s - yikes if change needed!), the basics of the room (oh no!) and/or the effect of the various treatments installed (already a path to madness per some other posts in this thread :confused:). So, herald the 505s as an upstart competitor/comparable.

Well to my ears, I’m pleased to report the Facts’ mojo is restored and I can see why so many people like them. We concluded that changes to various bass absorbers were probably the primary reason for this - the speaker positioning hasn’t changed (perhaps a few mil’ but nothing to matter).

There’s probably some opportunity for fine tuning, mild experimentation in positioning but no more IMV. The Facts & the treated room were happy with top-end female vocal (see on re the 505s), bassy blues and far more complex passages. Before, given the absence of some weight to the sound, playing something rock-orientated could lead to a flat-ish sound - no longer. My inner headbanger was duly awakened - Peter knows I like my music edgy and visceral (audience front row).

The Facts don’t reach right down in the bass but they do enough to keep the boogie going, and they do the upper and mid-ranges very well IMO, especially vocals, these facets matching to Peter’s liking for blues music - and this is from a CD555 et al.

They would probably benefit from a bigger room so they can better demonstrate their ability to image, resolve and create a generally bigger soundscape. C’est la vie…….we’d all like this…form an orderly queue at the estate agents post a lottery win.

Of course, the Facts may not be optimal for his room but, based on today’s listening and after the latest changes in room treatments, I think they’d be hard to beat hands down, which has to be the governing criteria for entertaining replacement.

2- The Kudos 505s (had been run-in) - admittedly many variables in play here and I can see why they get good reviews. The differentiating factors to the Facts were:

a- Upper edge of some female vocal (Kristina Train/Alison Krauss) was overly bright, to the point of being tiresome on some tracks. This was a stark contrast to the Facts and may be due to a room facet but it was a red flag. This brightness, almost ‘tizzyness’ sometimes extended in to mid-range too.

I’d rather live with some slight bass issues which arise only every now and again than live with upper-edge zing on female vocals.

b- the detailing and separation wasn’t quite as good as the Facts. It was a bit strange as on some tracks the sound was quite flat, on others there was plenty of wallop from the isobaric bass set-up.

When we re-installed the Facts (bigger cabinet/more drivers), it was apparent from cold the presentation was better. Given the difference in new pricings (~£13k v ~£8k?) and the driver set-ups, this should be the case but one can never assume things.

I know vinyl replay is much less demanding on my room than CD (via a 555) and it struck both of us that having a domestic system which can play CDs of all genres is likely to be challenging, especially as some appear to be relatively low-output and others shout at you from 7pm on the dial, which can create issues of balance in the replay as the volume is increased and, of course (and I’m sure many of us have them), there are the CDs which you think are benign of bass but exactly the opposite is true.

It’s a mad hobby this.

I’m considering getting some ‘treatment’ for my listening room which is quite bright and edgy due to plentiful glass surfaces. A learning from today was that you still need to trust your ears…not all things work out as anticipated.

HL

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your input today Phil, and as always in the mad world of hifi compromise and compromise again, eh? :+1:t3: ATB Peter

3 Likes

Finally, after more relaxed listenings, I found that something didn’t suit me in the previous set up

The sound was too projected, up front. So fatiguing after some time.

My final set up, the most balanced and enjoyable for me, is with only one trip trap in the right corner and the past acoustic panel in the left.
And the trip trap on the floor, no elevated as before.
I am very satisfied now.

The second trip trap is on the bay world …

Now that makes so much sense FR :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

I had elevated it before because there is the radiator and the trip trap could not go completely in the corner.
But I agree, it’s much better sounding now.

I believe you have a much better placement now. Your listening position, based in your previous picture, is against the wall. You may need some heavy absorption behind your head. I have a similar situation, I live in an apartment and the sofa is against the wall, so I put a 5" panel. It cleaned the sound a lot. Very happy now.
Congratulations!

Can you post a pic of your panel behind you?

2 Likes

What it is as material? Like the material inside the beds?

What do you recommend me to put behind my head? It must be absorbing or diffusing? I would say absorbing
Which one from GIK ?

They are GIK 244 full range.

1 Like

The problem is that I don’t want to be closer the speakers. So only to put on the wall.
The panel I put before didn’t work behind me.

I believe they have different sizes that you can hang in the wall so don’t need to move the sofa. Check their website.

The left position is not a corner - the bass trap would possibly work better in a corner of the room itself: maybe before it sells try it in any other corners: e.g. left of your bookcase/record shelves, or the rear room corner, or top corners (horizontal or vertical), or on top of the right trap above the radiator. While you have it you can always have a play with any of those that could physically take, and cancel sale if good.

Try and hang a big towel off that framed picture on your wall to cover the area behind your head and see what difference it makes. If you feel bass is a problem in your listening position try what people suggest above. If it is higher frequency reflections disturbing your sensitive ears, you could try a GIK Profuser panel , which is both diffusion and absorbtion albeit mildly. Bear in mind my ears are 50 centimetres in front. In my room this worked best for me.

ATB Peter

I will choose the monster. A bit cheaper too. :+1:

Yes, 2X 600/ 600. Or eventually 1 X 600/1200? ( it’s the length of my 2 places sofa)

What’s the distance between the two walls, left and right from your listening position?

Around 6 meters. Rectangular room but I listen not in the length. From my right, the wall is around 2 meters, a bit less.
From my left, 4 meters.