The Listening Room Reality

I will go progressively. Will try first the 2X 600/600. I think it’s the maximum my wife will be able to accept.
The corner bass trap was already a fight.
And as you said, I am not prepared to have a too clean sound.
I hate that. Lean, clean, thin, as Soulution, Esoteric, Ch precision sound. Not my taste.

You misunderstood me. You said to me that I must be prepared to a clean and thin sound. So I responded that it’s not my cup of tea.
With the 2 bass corners , trip traps, the sound was leaner and the details were too upfront.
I prefer a sound more organic and less in my face. You can call it noise or distortion, I don’t agree.
As I said before, I don’t like too much acoustic treatment. Just optimize some distorsions but not tame the room completely
Thanks however for your advises.
I will try tomorrow the “ duvet” behind my head. I was thinking already on that today.

FR, out of curiosity as pictures can deceive, are your 2 speakers at the same distance to your ears? Try and do the ‘string-test = you being sat in your listening position holding a long piece of string to the tip of your nose, whilst your much understanding wife stretches it to the inside top corner of each speaker to ascertain the distance, which of course should be the same :face_with_raised_eyebrow: your wife will LOVE you for it too :hugs:
ATB Peter

1 Like

No, no. Please :scream::scream::scream:. :rofl:

Same distance, maybe 3 cm differences. But the set up is optimal. I took me many hours to choose the best speakers orientation and placement.
With my dealer too before.

FR, would the shelf unit on the left in this picture fit on the right hand side into the set back piece of rear boundary wall to square the speakers up a bit better I wonder? ATB Peter

If it was only physics, we would see a lot of anechoic chambers in high end personal systems. It’s not the case.

I would absolutely maintain the same distance ear/ speakers, but rather do something to square the rear of your right speaker up. With the size of room you have equal distances to rear/ side walls is a must in my book. The dealer you mentioned don’t forget, also thought that your CD rack would be beneficial as room treatment in that corner :thinking: ATB Peter

And the book shelf unit question???

No anechoic chambers indeed ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But treated rooms, quite a lot.

Btw, according to Jason from The Tom Tom Club, when reviwing the ND555, Naim’s old listening room was quite damped

“I also got the opportunity to listen to these three streamers in the cosy environs of the highly damped Naim listening room with its appropriately green leather sofas”

–> https://thetomtomclub.ning.com/profiles/blogs/first-impressions-nd5-xs-2-ndx-2-nd-555

What does mean “ square the rear of your right speaker up”?
As I said to you, the positioning of the speakers is optimal. I tried a lot of positions and that one suits more my ears.

By filling the space up with your book shelf in the set back piece of wall on the right and put stuff on the shelves ( books/CDs or whatever ) so the speakers have the same distance to your back wall.

We have different experiences apparently. I heard a lot of systems in my life and have, I think, a clear opinion of what I can like or not.
In general the heavy treated rooms i saw were with systems with too big speakers for the room.

Thanks Peter. But don’t want to do that.

If I was you, I would buy less big speakers, less problematic with your room, and put off some panels off the walls and specially let your wonderful view open.
But I am not you I know.

To repeat something from another thread: we all like different ‘sounds’ of music, some preferring the bass reduced, others the mid enhanced, others the treble brighter, some wanting “warmth” , some liking the sound quite coloured, and some liking it to be completely neutral and identical to the sound as captured in the finalised recording.

However nothing to do with anechoic chambers, if there are bass nodes causing cancellation, with no bass at some frequencies, or resonances causing too much bass at some frequencies, bass traps can help restore balance. And if there are near reflections, like from one close side wall with the other further away, or from immediately behind the ears, higher frequencies can become muddled, with time smearing. In those cases treatment of the relevant surface can make the sound clearer more natural (unless to the listener a muddled sound is their perception of natural.

1 Like

For anyone who appreciates the lowest frequencies, which can be very significant to the emotion in some music, removing the bottom end to make the room easy to match is to lose a vital part of the music, and is simply not an option.

For me it’s an option. I prefer to have less distorsions and not all the frequencies than the contrary. For me a heavy acoustic treatment doesn’t give a natural sound.
I prefer to live with some distorsions than in a muffled, smothered room acoustic.
My room is far from ideal, but the sound is lively and clear, natural, with big soundstage, well separated instruments, fluent and smooth sound, not shouty, and with meat on the bones.
I tried to put a “ bibliothèque “ behind the right speaker before. I am aware that the difference in distance from the wall vs the speakers is not ideal. But with the furniture books I tried before behind that speaker, something didn’t suited me. The sound was less lively.

To deal with a smaller room, there’s an option that’s usually much better than full range speaker…
and that’s to use limited range speakers teamed with a sub driven via a DSP with filtering set to reduce the excitation of the room modes.

4 Likes

Indeed possible and I certainly wouldn’t rule out if I had to use a small room - what I do rule out is simply chopping off the bass to solve the problem, as some people suggest.

Its funny how you throughout this entire thread manage to transfer your own foibles to other people, who are at least ‘owning’ to have a problem. It’s a :wave:t3: from me Peter