The Listening Room Reality

Hey there peter what brand are these acoustic panels? Look good. Thanks

Hi Mon. The woody patterned panels on side walls are GIK Impression panels and the corner absorbers ( grey ones) are GIK Soffit bass traps and they proved superior over my first attempt with HOFA corner bass traps. ATB Peter

1 Like

The basics by GIK Acoustics.
A nice, non technical, sum up.

–> https://www.gikacoustics.com/hifi-listening-room/

2 Likes

Hi Thomas, as you state a nice quick guide to room treatment- most of us get there in the end, but patience is indeed a virtue in the process :roll_eyes: ATB Peter

1 Like

I wondered if I could pick the brains of those who have successfully installed acoustic treatment. I am primarily looking to treat the front and back walls and install some corner bass traps. I have committed the cardinal sin of placing a TV between my speakers. However I am looking to place GIK art panel for diffusion/absorbtion above the TV. I am also considering 2 verifusors which can be placed in front of the TV for listening sessions and they fit/hide perfectly behind the TV when not in use.
The biggest problem is the back wall which comprises of a window about 3 feet behind listening position. Again I have considered verifusors which can hide behind the sofa and be placed on the window ledge for listening sessions. However do I need more distance between my ears and window for diffusers to be effective. If so would absorbtion panels be better? Again they could probably not reside there permenantly for obvious reasons. I could place them behind the sofa stand vertically for listening purposes.
I am considering REW before bass traps. The main sticking point is going to be treating first reflection points from a room aesthetics stand point.

Hi Stu, yes 3 feet exactly the same distance as me absorption rules, however I have used this combined absorbtion/ diffusion product from GIK to success. Mine are permanently there as it is a dedicated hifi room, but not too heavy to move around if needed :+1:t3: Good luck with it ATB Peter

1 Like

Thanks Peter. It looks like you were attempting to absorb a significant amount of bass frequency as well as upper and mid diffusion. My speakers don’t produce a significant amount of bass energy so I was hoping to maybe absorb/diffuse mid to upper frequencies. Maybe some smaller tuned bass traps in the corners? Do your curtains contribute to damping higher frequencies?

Hi Stu, my curtains are light to medium lined and seem to reduce high frequency reflections in the right proportion. From my own experiments with the back wall trying to line the wall behind the curtains also with old fashioned 10 mm wool carpet underlay seemed to have an effect of sucking the liveliness out the room, so abandoned that. Nothing in the game of room treatment is a given it seems :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

For those who have used REW, is it difficult to set up and use? I am a neanderthal with all things technical. I will send the results to GIK for analysis and advice. Will order mini dsp usb mic to take measurements them I presume it is headphone out of laptop to phono inputs of 272?

A question for PeterR , although any other comments welcome , as i see you have diffusion/absorption on your rear wall.

My rear wall , as shown , has 2 GIK range limited Monster bass traps behind the curtains sitting on the window sill. There is nothing wrong with this.

But im wondering , as you do , what would be the effect of using 2 GIK Q7d diffusors either in place of the Monsters , or with the Monsters but mounted on the wall between the curtains and TriTraps. There is just enough room to fit them there.

Thing is i previously tried GIK Alpha panels , which are not what i would call true diffusion , where the Monsters are and did not like the result. They seemed to mess with the imaging.

Ideally would like to open up the rear of the room without affecting the imaging/depth/soundstage of the speakers.

So any thoughts or comments please

It is pretty easy to set up, and tgat is how I connected it. Alternatively, and avoiding any limitations of the computer’s analogue output, if you have a digital source you can record the test sound and play it as you would music. I haven’t done that myself, though I will next time. I’m sure if you get stuck then several on here will repond.

1 Like

Thanks IB will report back once I get up and running.

The way I did it was:

Input miniDSP UMIK-1 -> USB
Output USB -> (cheap) USB to S/Pdif external soundcard -> 272.

This way it keeps the signal in the digital domain up to the 272’s DAC, hence you get the best match to digital playback through the 272, without any errors creeping in from the analogue output of the laptop.

1 Like

Hi Folkman.
As my journey moved on I became increasingly aware, how easy it was to end up overdamping the room in pursuit of eliminating reflections. There are aspects in my room, which literally according to some of the acoustic theories would lend it never to sound any good- yep the bifolds behind the speakers and the window is the top one! But…
It’s tricky to comment, as your speakers are an unknown entity to me ( well would love to hear but never have) but assuming that their lateral tweeter dispersion is very benign in true PMC tradition ( Magicos also fall into this bracket), you have already killed a lot on first reflection ( ceiling also) to weaken the amplitude of sound hitting the back wall. I don’t know if you noticed, but I actually only used one Tritrap in each back wall corner just lifted about 8 inches off the floor and sitting very slightly over ear level. This because I found two stacked up in each corner too much or to my ears taking some vibrancy/life away from the music.
I know it may easier to follow GIK’s recommendations, but ultimately you have got to tune the room reflection wise to YOUR personal taste.
Without hearing your room my suggestion would be to start again on the back wall, let it sing to its heart’s content opening everything up, and then slowly start to put 2 panels say in at the time. Yes maybe cover some part of glass up if needed at ear level, but allow the top end reproduction to breathe, whatever that looks like for you. If the glass has a deleterious effect, you will easy hear that ‘glassy’ sound although a reflection off plaster board doesn’t sound much better. Once I initially got my bass lift under control in my room I never measured anything beyond that, as you will train your ears to hear unwanted peaks and troughs causing coloration on vocals say. Often you also end up improving one aspect of the frequency band= but say killing the airiness of the frequency band, hence as you can see I have used a lot of Impression panels. Even angling these or giving them some slight distance to wall behind them can make a positive difference.
The whole process is very OCD-driven and as you know takes a looong time!
Nothing can go wrong with starting partly again, as you can just move everything back in its place :+1:t3: ATB Peter ( PS should you want to contact me off Forum, you can get my email off RD).

A sound card… Its getting more complicated!! :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
Can you recommend one to use?

The ‘souncard’ is only technically a soundcard it’s just an external USB to S/PDif converter, any will do

It’s not at all critical as the frequency response and timing are still controlled by the DAC subsystem of the 272, not by the digital S/Pdif signal (that’s why it’s better than using the analogue output of the computer).

I think mine cost about £15.

1 Like

Thanks for that idea , its always good to get a different viewpoint.

In fact I have already taken that idea into work. Still much to try but initial findings are surprisingly different to what i was expecting.

Hi Folkman, dare I ask if that is in a good way? :thinking: ATB Peter

@PeterR @Thomas

Evening gents,

Does the acoustic treatment benefit and work just the same irrelevant of volume levels for both high and low frequencies?
For example, do bass traps have an effect at low listening levels or is it only when the volume is turned up and you start to excite the room?

:+1:t2:

Indeed popeye, yes the more you crank the volume up the more you start ‘leaning’ on the room. ATB Peter

2 Likes