The Listening Room Reality

What you used is probably the right thing or pretty close - when you said DIY loft insulation I was picturing the fluffy rolls for thermal insulation!

Rockwool RWA45 is good imho

I believe this is what I used. :+1:

I still don’t understand why people are trying to use flow mode absorbers in the corners of rooms and wondering why they don’t work particularly well at lower bass frequencies.

To absorb the energy from standing waves (or other similar low frequencies) you either need pressure mode absorbers at the points of higher pressure (i.e. the room boundaries) or flow mode absorbers at points of higher airflow (i.e. in the middle of the room).

Furthermore, if you are making the units yourself, the air-gap behind makes no sense; the only reason for its existence is to get slightly better low frequency performance from the excessively expensive commercially made offerings. For DIY, just making it thicker improves the performance more than an air gap!

Good point! I withdraw my previous mention of this.

Jesco mentioned the air gap In one of his tutorials. Think it had something to do with wavelengths.

It has, but you get a better effect if you fill it with an medium that slows down sound propagation (such as a porous material).

Thanks Xanthe
I could put another 50mm of rockwool behind as the frames are about 200mm deep :+1:

Pictures of room. The roll of carpet to the left represents a sofa. This regrettably will have some effect on imaging but strangely imaging was improved with diy corner traps. I will try and get some 300x1200 panels passed for the walls next to window (maybe behind curtains) and have a panel for window which can be used for listening sessions. Can’t t decide if I need anything above the TV yet. First reflection point on the picture wall is tricky as it is positioned right between the two pictures and a panel would look a little odd.
Main sofa will be in front of window.

1 Like

Apologies for quality of pics

Hi Stu,

Very nice room! I like the palette.

Treating the room or decorating it?
Leaving room or listening room?
Getting rid of the TV or keeping it?
Choices…

Treating the room will obviously better your listening experience, a lot, more than anything else, whether it is a shiny new NAP 500 DR or a pair of Magico M2.

That said treatment starts with (always!):

• listening position
  • speakers position

and with the following rule:

• don’t put anything in the area between the listening position and the speakers. That area is holly ground! You don’t want to mess with direct sound…

That Audio Trinity is the minimum.

Once sorted out, you can start with treatment.

Your room looks pretty ok in terms of shape and size. I’m pretty sure you can do something nice in terms of treatment. But you have to build the room around the HiFi. Unfortunately, there is no way around.

But… compromises can also be sorted out and corrected (to some point), just like I did. There is always hope! You have a nice room and a nice system!

Thanks Thomas.
I have just posted a new thread regarding permanent or temporary listening position. I think to get the best listening position I will experiment with positioning of new sofas when they arrive. One is a small two seater which can be moved for serious listening sessions. For casual listening I will have to possibly put up with a compromised position? I will list some pictures and my findings when furniture’s arrives.

1 Like

Speakers placement

A long, but very informative/useful video.

There are other techniques/videos helping with proper speakers placement. All are interesting, but this one helps understanding the “whys”, not only the “hows”.

–> https://youtu.be/gXohzklfwPs

Edit:
The guy really says it, nearly, all. This is the best, most complete, video about speakers placement I came across. Many would charge for such quality advises

2 Likes

Hi Thomas. Brilliant video and personally the 1.7 metres rule explains as of lately, what I heard in my room reflection wise and couldn’t make sense of :+1:t3:. Much appreciated and ATB Peter

1 Like

Speakers and Rooms

A Dynaudio video about :

• Smaller/bigger speakers in smaller/bigger rooms.
  • Room mods, direct/reflected sound, smearing, flutter echoes, etc.
  • Yes, all rooms have problems, and the smaller the more problematic they are.
  • Can room issues be solved?

An interesting video that covers those topics, without going too much into details.

–> https://youtu.be/KE-AQZGUXTM

Hi Thomas, love it when he says; “ It is not the speakers size causing the problem, IT IS THE ROOM”! :clap:t2::partying_face: ATB Peter

In your opinion, if you had something like Proac tablette stand mount speakers, do you think you will still need all this acoustic treatment?

Hi Peter,

This could sound odd to some. But if we think about it, it’s obvious.

Speaker size doesn’t really matter. What matters is, of course, the total amount of pressure.

The only difference between small speakers and big speakers is that small speakers need to work more to achieve the same result (and most small speakers simply can’t, at least without blowing :sweat_smile:).

Nice backyard/garden by the way.

We’re planning to move in a couple of years, meaning garden and… dedicated listening room. Built from scratch, dimensions and all :star_struck:

1 Like

Sounds fab Thomas, 5x8x3.5 ceiling height :+1:t3: Would have loved that myself, but hey one mustn’t grumble! ATB Peter ( Finally a cloud cover here, it is too hot :sweat_smile:)

I’ve been playing with AMROC (the room mode calculator).

It’s seems that having the ceiling at 3,5 meters high is a minimum in order the get a good room mode distribution (having it to be within the bolt area).

In fact the higher the ceiling the best. Which makes sense; but we don’t bother living in rooms with lower ceilings.

Unfortunately, from acoustical point of view, such a small distance (below 3,5 meters) is a disaster.